You are not logged in.

Interesting Experiment, or Crazy Idea?

• Arrogantbastardale
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #386 by Arrogantbastardale
Interesting Experiment, or Crazy Idea? was created by Arrogantbastardale
So after brewing my "no boil" Berliner Weisse a while back, I started to think about what exactly the No Boil method did to my beer. Based on that, I am starting to wonder if this sort of technique can be used for other beer styles, particularly West Coast IPA's where hop bursting/late hops are used and no caramel/malts are used (Mitch Steele style). Here is what I think the "no boil" technique could potentially do:

1. Lower gravity/more volume than a 60 minute boil.
2. Lighter color, few melanoidins (lower finishing gravity?). Very dry malt backbone. When the beer ages a couple of months it won't turn into a caramel bomb.
3. Less bitterness.
4. Potential DMS.

Point 2 is the positive outcome for me. The DMS point is an interesting and I will talk about that below. The other two points can probably be made up for in process and recipe.

As far as the DMS goes, my BW had 50% pilsner malt, and had no sign of DMS at all. I had professional brewers taste it and other respected palettes to verify this. Of course, this beer had Lactobacillus and Brettanomyces. Brett is known to clean up beers nicely. Would Saccharomyces be able to clean up the DMS in an all 2 Row IPA? Maybe it wouldn't even need to... malts these days are so well modified that DMS is almost never an issue. Of all the good and bad commercial beers I have tasted (hundreds), I can not recall ever tasting cooked corn. Has anyone here ever experienced DMS?

The idea for this experiment is to throw in some high alpha/neutral hop for FWH just like normal (Magnum/Warrior). Then boil for 15 minutes, throwing in 20-25 ounces of hops I happen to have left over from last year (Nelsin Sauvin, Cascade, Centennial, Galena, Chinook, Amarillo). I'd be shooting for around an 8-9% ABV on this one. I'd be hoping to get a hop bomb with little malt character other than the alcohol for providing the delivery mechanism of an intense hop flavor. The color should have a noticeably lower SRM than normal. I'd also save 45 minutes on my brew day!

Am I completely crazy to try this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• shedbrewer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #388 by shedbrewer
Replied by shedbrewer on topic Interesting Experiment, or Crazy Idea?
This is awesome man. One of those unexplainables you get on a forum now & again. You just sit in hope the author would just continue typing. Cheers mate, food for thought.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by shedbrewer.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #394 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Interesting Experiment, or Crazy Idea?
WOW mate great idea, its worth a try.. Your reasoning makes sense to me.. I say GO FOR IT. Only one way to find out!
:cheer:

• munisingbeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #396 by munisingbeer
Replied by munisingbeer on topic Interesting Experiment, or Crazy Idea?
I say ..let us know how it goes i'm always willing to save some time if the beer is good.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top