You are not logged in.

Overview of first brew day

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #1639 by Erik_l
Overview of first brew day was created by Erik_l
Feel free to comment on anything here!

My mash temp was 2C under target, and I had to pick up my yeast while mashing, and mashed for 90 minutes.

I checked the gravity of the wort at 60C and hit 1.040 which confused me as it was suppose to be 1.060 or higher, so I cooled some wort down to 20C and the SG pre boil was 1.058 (I used beersmith gravity adjustment and confirmed myself) post boil was 1.070. Estimated abv is 7.8% which is higher than I expected, I did boil 2lt of water and should of added it to the fermenter as I put 13lt into the carboy.

I originally had white labs 051 but the lhbs couldn't get it so I hydrated a pack of us-05.

Cooling went well too

Had my pot in an ice bath and dropped it to 20 in 30 minutes,.

I had a shit ton of hop residue so I sanitised a strainer and filtered it all out, put it back in the pot and refiltered it into the carboy which also aerated the Wort.

I haven't checked my carboy since pitch as I haven't been home, so hope it's ok.

The carboy is 30lt but I have 13lt in, which surprised me as I was expecting 15. I'm not expecting much airlock activity due to the volume of air in the carboy but I don't know? I'm going to pick a 15lt carboy up next week for priming, and maybe some grains for a rye ipa.

On my phone so excuse my shitty grammar, and at work....
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Erik_l. Reason: Fixed a word.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1642 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Overview of first brew day
Things will get easier and more relaxed! Still you have some beer, hope it turns out great! Cheers mate looking forward to see what it turns out like!

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1643 by Gash
With beersmith I too have to heat the the water 2c higher than it recommends to get to my temps, there is probably a setting to change that, I just havent bothered because I know what I need to do to get it where I want it.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1644 by Gash
Takes a few brews to dial in all the settings right and get to know your equipment

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top