You are not logged in.

First recipe for my first attempt at AG

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2557 by Dave Harry
First recipe for my first attempt at AG was created by Dave Harry
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and getting my AG equipment together now. What would be a good AG recipe to start with?
I wouldn't mind doing a Little Creatures Pale Ale Clone, or perhaps a clone of Coopers pale ale. Any suggestions appreciated.
I'm in Warrnambool so would have to get a brew shop like Grain and Grape to send me the grains milled in a bag.
Thanks
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago #2558 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First recipe for my first attempt at AG
G'day Dave, Welcome to the addiction :) Just about any regular ale should be easily achievable! Some thing like a Little Creatures would be ok! I'm not sure of your setup, that will slightly change recipes. Something as simple as

4kg Pale Ale/2-row type malt
1kg of Munich Malt
200g Medium Crystal malt

60min bittering hop addition to about 20IBUs
5min flavouring Hop addition of maybe 20g Cascade and 20g Mosaic
and a dry hop of the same later on

Should make a nice pale ale in similar style to LC

I'm not sure on how much that makes sense to you, but I am happy to detail it right out for you.
What system are you using, have you tested things like boil off rate or dead spaces in Mash tun and boil pot?
Cheers Gavin
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Harry

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 9 months ago #2559 by Dave Harry
Replied by Dave Harry on topic First recipe for my first attempt at AG
Thankyou for that information Gavan. I'm currently converting an Esky brand esky 33 litre into a mash tun and buying a 40 litre boil pot from eBay. I presume for the mash tun that you would do some sort of trial for temp loss similar to a 60 minute mash in and for the boil pot boiling maybe 30 litres and seeing how much is lost in boil off, is that the right way to approach it?

More
6 years 9 months ago #2560 by Gash
Testing heat loss without grain isnt quite the same, the grain will help hold heat, so no use doing that. When you figure out what sort of "strainer" you'll use, whether it be a manifold, bazooka tube or bag. you will put maybe 10 litres in the mash tun and let it drain, make sure you have a hose on the tap of the tun hanging down so it helps create a siphon. and just let it drain. Measure what ever water is left behind, thats your mash tun dead space.

Boil off, yep just whack in 30L or something of water and boil it for an hour and measure whats left. If thats too hard, you can wing it for the first brew and you'll find out once its in the fermenter.

One thing that will help is to be careful when measuring in water amounts, if you use a two litre jug or something try and weigh two litres of water in it to double check, because they are notorious for being wrong and even 200ml adds up over the 40l litres you might use during a whole brew. Once you've done it once then you'll know forever if you can mark it or use a stick for measuring depth or a sight glass or whatever you are going to use, these days I only have measurements on my HLT.
Cheers!

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 8 months ago #2572 by Dave Harry
Replied by Dave Harry on topic First recipe for my first attempt at AG
G'day Gash. I'm getting my all grain equipment together and thanks for the information in the last message. One question... I have a 28 litre esky for a mash tun, is that a bit small, I was thinking maybe a 33 litre one might be better?
Cheers Dave

More
6 years 8 months ago #2573 by Gash
Up to you mate, 33L would be a bit better, I've survived with a 32L one for years. You could get by with a 28L for a while, but a 33L would be a touch more versatile if doing a bit bigger beers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Harry

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top