You are not logged in.

Final gravity reading difference between hydrometer & Refractometer

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #2905 by Dave Harry
Hello Gash and fellow forum members,

I have done a couple of all grain brews with the first one going okay. Now about to bottle my second AG brew and there is a difference between hydrometer and refractometer on my final gravity on a pale ale. The Brew has been in the fermenter for two weeks and two hydrometer readings in successive days were both 1.009. I just bought a refractometer and followed the calibration steps now the refractometer reading is 1.020. Any thoughts, ideas on this please.

Thanks
Cheers
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 4 months ago #2906 by Gash
G'day mate, refractometers are perfect for brewing before the ferment, but after alcohol is present they read differently, there are calculators around that can estimate what your reading is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Harry

More
6 years 4 months ago #2907 by Gash

So the first number is your SG/OG starting gravity, I guessed this here, then you put in your reading 1.020 = 5.08 brix, this calculator says its 1.009 which matches what your hydro said.

the second calculator here.
www.brewersfriend.com/refractometer-calculator/

Cheers mate!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave Harry

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 4 months ago #2908 by Dave Harry
Cheers for that Gash. Yeah I realised after I asked the question and had done some more research that the adjusted number is pretty much spot on for my final gravity so that's all good. Still learning the ropes but enjoying it.

Thanks!
Dave

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top