Stuck mash and sparge

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #3376 by Cherry1
Stuck mash and sparge was created by Cherry1
Had my 5th brew day on the Robobrew yesterday.
Could not recirculate during the mash without almost continuous stirring, this continued until about half way through the sparge, when for some reason it cleared and flowed as normal.
My grain mill was set at the same gap as usual (0.035"). The only difference was this was the first time I have used Pilsner Malt in the Robobrew. Malt bill was 5kg Pils Malt 500g Crystal and 16.5l water.
After milling I did think that the grain looked a bit powdery.
Was I just unlucky, does Pilsner Malt require a softer mill or could it be something else?
Apart from the fact that I could not clear through the grain bed my OG was bang on. After 24hrs all the crap has dropped to the bottom of the fermentor, so hopefully all will be well.
Any input appreciated.
Cheers
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3380 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Stuck mash and sparge
G'day, yep I'd guess it was the different grain size, and possibly drier. Should really do a small test crush on any new grain, although its something I always forget. There really is no "one size fits all" for crushing grain even though we get away with it most of the time, I measured my mill gap once after putting it together and immediately had to change it for the grain size I was using and have never measured it again. Cheers Cherry
!

More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #3389 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Stuck mash and sparge
Hello again, raised the question at the homebrew shop today and yeah no worries with pils malt, just one of those things and as gash said no one size fits all.
Just one thing ,did you raise your mash temp after the 1 hour mash to 75degc.and give it a bit of a stir up and then let it sit for ten minutes before sparging.?
cheers and goodluck with your next brew.
Sorry just reread your post and i see you had recirculating issues before the end of the mash.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Finnroo.

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
5 years 8 months ago #3391 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Stuck mash and sparge
No Didn't raise temp, was just happy to get through :-)
Day off today, brewing a Dunkel which has 2.5kg of a different Pilsner malt. No issues.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3395 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Stuck mash and sparge
well done mate, keep on brewing cheers.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top