You are not logged in.

Bitter yeasty off flavour

• TonyShep
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #3467 by TonyShep
Bitter yeasty off flavour was created by TonyShep
I have made three brews over the past couple of months that have developed a bitter yeasty flavour over time. A couple have been all grain and a couple made with pre-prepared wort. A week after kegging they are lovely beers, but then over time a bitter yeasty flavour develops. I assume that the brews are getting infected in either the fermenter (plastic) or in the kegs. In order to avoid this I have been racking into a secondary a couple of days after gravity has stabilised. I rack into a second fermenter (again plastic) and leave for a couple of weeks before chilling and kegging.

Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3469 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Bitter yeasty off flavour
hmmm I'd actually stop all the racking it causes more damage than good 99% of the time. Its weird that its developing in the keg, I'm guessing they are kept cold the whole time? Have you ever accidently got beer into your regulator, gas lines or gas valves if you have any? I had a mate that had a similar problem and he found mould in his gas manifold. Otherwise are you getting your CO2 from a reputable dealer? Cheers!

• TonyShep
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #3471 by TonyShep
Replied by TonyShep on topic Bitter yeasty off flavour
Thanks Gash. CO2 is from the local brewshop, so should be ok. Kegs not cold all the time. I have limited space in my Kegerator, so some stored in my shed and I have traveled with kegs and used a chill plate and esky. But I am in Hobart so keg would not have got too warm. I sanitise beer lines when changing a keg and don't think I have got any beer in the gas lines. I have some spare line so may change over the lines and check the regulator. Other than that I guess all I can do is clean, sanitise and buy a new fermenter?

• TonyShep
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #3472 by TonyShep
Also have thrown away old vinyl hose recently. I did find a spot of mold in some tube.....I may have used that tube, not sure.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3473 by Gash
That hose may of been a problem

• TonyShep
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #3487 by TonyShep
I have been thinking about this over the weekend and may have come up with the issue. Which means I have posted in the wrong section. The last beer I brewed I brewed from a 15kg cube of wort bought from a brew shop. I poured the wort into my sanitised fermenter and added 5 litres of water, pitched the yeast and put in a fridge to ferment. The issue may be that I am on tank water and I didn't boil the water so it would have all types of nasties. Normally not an issue with all grain. Could this be the issue?

More
5 years 8 months ago #3488 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Bitter yeasty off flavour
Hi Tony, Yes I think it could well have been you issue sorry to say , boiling all your brew water is always a good way of taking possible contaminated water out of the equation. Cheers and good luck.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3489 by Gash
Yep could be!

More
5 years 8 months ago #3490 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Bitter yeasty off flavour
Hello again Tony, What do you sanitize with and was it a fresh batch of solution. cheers ,just an after thought.

• TonyShep
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago #3491 by TonyShep
I would have used a fresh mix of Stellar San. I normally clean then mix up about 3 litres of sanitiser pour into the fermenter and slosh it around the fermenter with a cloth. Probably mix up the sanitiser a bit strong if that would make a difference. When I transferred to the secondry I would have cleaned and sanitised much in the same way. I rack with a siphon but again run sanitiser through it before and after then hang to dry.
Cheers and thank you.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top