You are not logged in.

Robobrew sparge water calculation

• Will2233
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 2 months ago #3814 by Will2233
Replied by Will2233 on topic Robobrew sparge water calculation
Thanks for that Andrew,
Interesting, I wonder what the two versions have that throws up that error.
I am going to sparge to the recipe pre boil volume and disregard the BS sparge calculations which seem to be BS anyway.
I wonder if any body that has the Android version and the windows desktop versions finds the same problem.
William

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 2 months ago #3837 by Ballabrew
Replied by Ballabrew on topic Robobrew sparge water calculation
Unless your scales are out? Any decent water jug should be pretty accurate. Cheap electronic scales on the other hand.

More
5 years 2 months ago #3841 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Robobrew sparge water calculation
I've found the opposite Ballabrew, and tested on multiple scales, my jug from a science supplier was way out, as are most of my kitchen jugs. Cheers!

More
4 years 11 months ago #3975 by Paddybrew
Replied by Paddybrew on topic Robobrew sparge water calculation
Hi Gash
Quick question if I may. I have downloaded your Robobrew v3 equipment and mash profile. I’m an avid viewer of your channel. You help us novice brewers no end so thanks a million for that

My question is also about water volumes. If I download a popular recipe from the BS recipes section, open and apply your settings. The mash in water vols are always a lot higher from what you yourself mash in at. The one I downloaded says to use 24 litres when mashing in which would be at least four litres more than what you would use
Is this just a case of BS calcs being a bit off and it’s probably best to stick the rules you mention above in regards to final volumes
Cheers
Paddy

More
4 years 11 months ago - 4 years 11 months ago #3976 by Gash
I cant speak for the recipes you download, but yeah thats way too much water, Beersmith struggles a little with single vessel systems, all of the programs do. All I'd do is double click on the strike water amount and change it to 18-20L, add more if needed. What would be happening is my profile is setup for around the 5kg mark for a 5% beer, so I have the water to grain ratio set to around 4L to the kilo so when you add a big grain bill like 6kg it probably suggests 24L. Which is probably too much for the robobrew, it might fit though I havent tried it.. I suggest for bigger grain amounts to start at the 20L and just see how it goes, add more if needed. Cheers mate!
Last edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Gash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paddybrew

More
4 years 11 months ago #3977 by Paddybrew
Replied by Paddybrew on topic Robobrew sparge water calculation
That makes perfect sense in regards to your grain bill to water ratio
Cheers mate

More
4 years 6 months ago #4289 by Jarvo_325
Replied by Jarvo_325 on topic Robobrew sparge water calculation
Will the same concept apply if I wanted to make 20 litre batches

want 20L sparge just over 26 litre mark?

Also if im using your Robobrew profile for 23 litres, and press the scale button on beersmith 3 and scale it down to 20l, will that still follow your profile settings?

Thanks

More
4 years 6 months ago - 4 years 6 months ago #4290 by Gash
Yeah thats worth a try, I dont do small batches like that, wouldnt be enough to fill a keg with all the losses, I always brew 3 or 4 litres more than I need so I dont have to stuff around trying to get out every last drop and picking up yeast and hops out of the fermenter. Cheers mate!
Last edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Gash.

More
4 years 6 months ago #4291 by Jarvo_325
Replied by Jarvo_325 on topic Robobrew sparge water calculation
Thanks mate makes sense!

I use 9 litre kegs as I like to bottle some so I can take it places.

More
4 years 6 months ago #4292 by Gash
Thats what I'd do try the scale recipe, making sure you pick the same equip profile, and just have a go, You might need to tweak things for the next brew and also check mash strike water amount and change it to what you think you'll need. That depends on your grain bill. Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvo_325

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top