You are not logged in.

First All Grain Brew

• Carrobrew
  • Carrobrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4742 by Carrobrew
First All Grain Brew was created by Carrobrew
Hey all,

I bought a Brewzilla 35L for my entry into All Grain as an early birthday present but the missus is making sure I don't use it until my birthday in August.

Nothing to do now except obsess over what to brew and plan.

What did you all brew for your first All grain batch?

Any tips from current Brewzilla 35L users?

I'm leaning towards an American Pale Ale due to the simpler grain bill (less things to stuff up, the David heath recipe looks alright) and I'm a bit of a hop head but being winter I like the look of the American Stout Gash brewed in the last vid. How did it end up tasting Gash?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4743 by ozdevil1
Replied by ozdevil1 on topic First All Grain Brew
i would look at a smash brew for ya 1st few brews 1 grain 1 hop , i know its pretty basic but will help you get to know your brewzilla mate.

i wish in ways i did a few smash beers before starting on ipa's neipas etc

i only have a couple of all grain brews underr my belt since restarting brewing.

my 1st was an ipa and the next was a neipa and i think i stuffed up huge even though beer was made...

but probably will be doing a few pale ales as smash brew for my next ones
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrobrew

More
3 years 8 months ago #4745 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic First All Grain Brew
As Ozdevil1 says a Smash beer would be great. And by doing that you start to learn strait away what your base malt tastes like as well as the hop that you choose. (cascade for example) Maybe us05 for your yeast.
And try not to dribble over the electrics before August lol. Happy birthday in advance. Cheers

More
3 years 8 months ago #4746 by ozdevil1

Hey all,

I bought a Brewzilla 35L for my entry into All Grain as an early birthday present but the missus is making sure I don't use it until my birthday in August.

Nothing to do now except obsess over what to brew and plan.

What did you all brew for your first All grain batch?

Any tips from current Brewzilla 35L users?

I'm leaning towards an American Pale Ale due to the simpler grain bill (less things to stuff up, the David heath recipe looks alright) and I'm a bit of a hop head but being winter I like the look of the American Stout Gash brewed in the last vid. How did it end up tasting Gash?

Now how ya get around to get it early

tell ya good wife ya want to brew a 1st beer on the day of ya birthday , however you need to passivate and and you need to give it a great clean and is best you do it in your shed.

go and buy some grain (if you dont have a mill , you will have to purchase the grain pre crushed) and some hops and some yeast .

start ya 1st brew and if your good cheese and kisses comes along and says something you tell her i asked a few questions on a brewing site (not here) and they told me the best way to clean and passivate was to put some grain in and then ya might as well go the full hog then

oh between now and then you may want to consider a pot or something for your sparge water and getting a grain mill as buying grain in bulk will make your brew days a bit cheaper and you can set your crush to what you like

you will enjoy your 35l brewzilla, 1 advice get yourself a milk create or some type of stand coffee table so ya dont have to lay on the ground to change temp or anything like that

the

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #4747 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First All Grain Brew
Its funny, I'll go against everyone and say dont do a smash, I'm on team anti-smash, I think they are harder to get right, I've had some great ones, but more often than not they are lacking in malt or over bitter etc the balance is hard sometimes.
I'd pick a simple pale ale recipe, I don't know about Heaths things, I've never seen his recipes.
I tend to tell new brewers to go for a clone, keep it simple though or a simple pale ale, something that you'll enjoy more.
I think if you add just something extra to malt bill whether it be a Munich or Vienna malt , maybe a touch of crystal, it just gives the beer more of a chance if you accidentally make to too bitter , where possibly too bitter in a smash might make it near undrinkable. Its a fine line.

What I would suggest is let us know a beer you like and while we might not make a clone of it, if we use the same hops in a basic pale ale recipe you might get a surprise at the end!

To take it further once you find that base pale ale recipe you enjoy when you do go to experimenting with new hops and learning flavours just use that base all the time, no real need to do a SMASH just to learn hops. Learning grains I think you learn more about the grain in a lager/pilsner style beer so your just got the malt flavour and not hidden behind hops.

Of course this is just my preferences, many people love SMASH beers, they became a real trend the last few years.
Mention a beer you really like and we'll give it go, we can simplify the process for you, even no chill it if you like.
Cheers!
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Gash.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4749 by ozdevil1

Its funny, I'll go against everyone and say dont do a smash, I'm on team anti-smash, I think they are harder to get right, I've had some great ones, but more often than not they are lacking in malt or over bitter etc the balance is hard sometimes.
I'd pick a simple pale ale recipe, I don't know about Heaths things, I've never seen his recipes.
I tend to tell new brewers to go for a clone, keep it simple though or a simple pale ale, something that you'll enjoy more.
I think if you add just something extra to malt bill whether it be a Munich or Vienna malt , maybe a touch of crystal, it just gives the beer more of a chance if you accidentally make to too bitter , where possibly too bitter in a smash might make it near undrinkable. Its a fine line.

What I would suggest is let us know a beer you like and while we might not make a clone of it, if we use the same hops in a basic pale ale recipe you might get a surprise at the end!

To take it further once you find that base pale ale recipe you enjoy when you do go to experimenting with new hops and learning flavours just use that base all the time, no real need to do a SMASH just to learn hops. Learning grains I think you learn more about the grain in a lager/pilsner style beer so your just got the malt flavour and not hidden behind hops.

Of course this is just my preferences, many people love SMASH beers, they became a real trend the last few years.
Mention a beer you really like and we'll give it go, we can simplify the process for you, even no chill it if you like.
Cheers!

makes sense to me

i thought just having a base malt and a 1 hop you couldnt go much wrong but i suppose it really can back fire more as there isnt anything to hide behind if a mistake happens

• Carrobrew
More
3 years 8 months ago #4750 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic First All Grain Brew
Thanks for all the replies.

Great discussion.

I did first think of a SMaSH but thought if it was too simple and I didn't like there was a lot of mediocre beer to drink. Although this could easily happen with a more complicated grist I suppose.

share.brewfather.app/Z3EjxTpfyKcyxN

Above is the heath recipe I found on brewfather/youtube. As for a beer to clone I am enjoying the 4 pines APA at the moment, also the sierra nevada PA. There's not really many beers I don't like though. :P

Also planning on the Bandits American stout (below). Got 2 fermenters now and need to sure up stocks starting to run low.

share.brewfather.app/3j1TGEx10jAG6w

Gash's point that it can be harder to balance a simple beer makes sense to me.

I am definitely keen to try some smash beers once I get into recipe designing myself and experimenting with ingredients but just want something I will enjoy and be happy to share around at first, I am making pretty decent beers with pre-hopped tins with a partial mash and extra hops etc so don't want to take a step back in quality of beer.

I'm steering clear of the NEIPAs and co. for now as they are fairly ingredient heavy and a lot of $$ if I completely stuff my numbers or shoot wort all over my yard etc. Although I am very keep to put some down, love that style.

As to the getting into the Brewzilla early the missus is too wise. I have already brought up the test fitting everything, test boiling, cleaning and inspection reasons but she is onto it. I could probably just do it but not worth the fall out. Also recently bought a ferm fridge ready to go and inkbird coming for birthday also. Also if the missus asks all Brewzillas come with a complimentary neoprene jacket and refrac. Thought about a PH meter too and a counterflow chiller but will have to make do with included immersion chiller for now. Next step is kegging but will have to wait a while now.

Speaking of experimenting has anyone done smaller/half batches on the 35L unit? Like a 12L or so batch. This is my idea for doing smash beers, that way can test more hops and grains quicker. Can it be done? Would you just do no sparge?

Fuck me all this is making me very thirsty. It's dangerous working from home ATM.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4753 by Gash
I have a mate that does 12L all the time, I can always ask him if you like. Cheers!
We could do the sierra nevada pale ale fairly easy, I havent tried brewing the 4 pines, but it would be too different, just the hops mainly

• Carrobrew
More
3 years 8 months ago #4754 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic First All Grain Brew
Yeah mate I'd appreciate it, wouldn't mind trying the smaller batches as well down the track, probably take a hit on efficiency with no sparge but maybe just a little sparge? Dunno.

I know there is a BYO mag Sierra nevada PA clone recipe on brewfather.

recipe.brewfather.app/8Clw6xnAugAOEDMP2O1U9qJqnLDb7F

Interested to get your take on it.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4755 by Gash
Yeah thats pretty good, they actually released the true recipe too, but I'll have a look over it and see what I think, Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top