You are not logged in.

First All Grain Brew

More
3 years 6 months ago #4949 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic First All Grain Brew
Hello mate, sorry I missed these posts. Photos are great. Ive had a couple of brews where the Kruasen didnt drop. Dont know why just didnt but no worries with the beer.
You mentioned about raising your ferment to 21degC after 6 days to clean up. Thats possibly too late because ferment is probably finished. I raise my temp from 19 to 22deg after 3 days for a further 7 days to encourage the dialectal rest.
What is your carbonating/ bottling proceedure and how much priming sugar do you use. Love the colour of you beer, outstanding. Cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Carrobrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Carrobrew
  • Carrobrew's Avatar Topic Author
More
3 years 6 months ago #4950 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic First All Grain Brew
All good mate.

Good to know, i'll raise it earlier next time. Will it still clean up even though I left it late? Just take longer?

I currently use the PET bottles and have been using the carb drops coz I had some left over still. I then squeeze the air our of the headspace and put in the fermenter fridge with the inkbird probe on the side of one bottle to carb up at around 19-20c.

I currently bottle straight from primary after cold crashing for a few days using one of those bottle wands with the blue tip. This issue I have is sometimes i hit the middle of bottom of the bottle or hit the top of a carb drop and I think that causes some splashing/nucleation when filling the bottles (I can hear it in some bottles). Tasted gold straight from primary but now some are great and some are not as good, not too bad but the hop flavour is a bit subdued, mostly get the bitterness.

How long do you think before I would taste the effects of oxidation in bottles? After having some more beers of this batch last night I think certain bottles have been a bit oxidised, just seems like the hops are not as punchy in some and the aroma varies.

Would love to jump to kegging but no cash at the moment. :'(

I do have a second Fermenter which I could use to bulk prime. What do you recommend? Are the blue tip fillers ok or is there a better option? I have 5m of new silicon hosing I can utilise/cut up if needed.

I want to make sure I don't oxidise this next batch at all. Is an IPA with plenty of late boil additions, whirlpool additions and a hefty dry hop so I want to make sure I retain all that flavour. Is tasting amazing in primary as of my last hydro reading on Monday when I dry hopped. Will be crashing tomorrow and bottling on the weekend. Either all in PET or a mix of PET and glass flip tops.

Cheers for the help

More
3 years 6 months ago #4963 by Finnroo
. All sounds good, ive been having a bit of the same hop flavour and aroma fading too. Im not a hop head so just going with the flow and learning too. Sounds like your bottling well so cant see any probs there.
One thing I will say about oxidation is try to ensure a smooth transfer from vessel to vessel and only splash and aerate wort once it has cooled to pitching temp. Me personally I worry about aeration through the whole process from start to finish(except for pitching time) and that mind set has served me well. Sound like your really enjoying it ,awesome. Cheers

• Carrobrew
More
3 years 6 months ago #4966 by Carrobrew
Tried to minimise any splashing but can still hear a bit when pushing the wand into the bottom of the bottle. Not really splashing but just noise when the beer rushes out of the end of the wand.

Didn’t matter where I put it, sometimes was very minimal but varied. Hopefully won’t be an issue. This is a very hoppy beer which is why I’m obsessing over it.

Tastes amazing without carb so I’ll be able to compare in a few weeks when it is carbed up to see if I’ve retained the taste.

Would love to have kegs to I could be drinking this one sooner!

More
3 years 6 months ago #4971 by Finnroo
Your brewing very well by the sounds of it, dont over think it and get a few brews under your belt. Well done and keep learning. Cheers mate.

• Carrobrew
More
3 years 6 months ago #4978 by Carrobrew
Cheers mate for the help

More
3 years 6 months ago #5017 by Finnroo
I think I forgot to mention, after 3 days fermentation at 19degc raise it then to 22degc for a further 7 days, then cold crash at 2degc for 3 days. Then bottle or keg. Cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top