You are not logged in.

65 Litre BrewZilla Brewers Friend Equipment Profile

• Tonzles
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #4539 by Tonzles
Good morning fellow brewers,

I was hoping someone here may be able to help me, I'm new to the forum but the information I have read here previously has been great.

I have recently purchased a BrewZilla 65 Litre 3.1.1 and I am looking to make my first all grain brew in the coming days. The Brewing Software I use is Brewer's Friend. I have struggled to find a good equipment profile that might get me on the right track for brewing with this set up. I understand that Gash has a reputation for being the go to man for a good equipment profile for these devices, but I can't seem to find the inputs in a readable format (I saw the files in BSMX format but can't figure out how to read the data). I would really appreciate help to complete a Brewers Friend Equipment profile as a start point for my all-grain journey.

Thanks in advance for your help. :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #4541 by Gash
Ive never had much luck with brewers friend, but I havent really given it much time either. The profiles you are trying to look at are beersmith, I think you can get a free trial if you want to look at them, otherwise I can screenshot them if you like, it may work with brewers friend just to transfer them over, Im not sure. Cheers!

More
3 years 11 months ago #4542 by Gash
I cant do it right now, but will have a play for you maybe tomorrow.

• Tonzles
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #4544 by Tonzles
Thanks mate, I really appreciate the help. If you get a chance to look at that tomorrow it would be fantastic.

I will be in front of my computer later today and will try the Beersmith free trial to see if I can get the info that way tonight. I will let you know if I sort it out so I don’t waste your time.

Also, once I get a Brewers Friend profile dialled in I will take screen shots and upload them to the forum if any other members need it.

More
3 years 11 months ago #4545 by Gash
That would be awesome! Cheers!

More
3 years 11 months ago #4546 by Gash
I just tried, and it seemed to be close for my recipe but its not intuitive, I made a recipe using the profile but I had to go in and change everything. Im hopeless with it.. Sorry I used these numbers. but had to change the strike water amount to 40L and sparge to 26L when I made the recipe. Its all a bit weird. I'll try and have another go later on. Cheers!

Boil Evaporation Rate
Liters / hr Amount of volume lost per hour during boil in quarts or liters. Typically 6 for wide kettles, and 4 for keggles. Electric elements tend to produce less. Also depends on how 'hard' you boil. Generally 4 - 5
Grain Absorption
Liters / kg How much water the mashed grains soak up. Generally 0.5 qt/lb, 1.0 L/kg
Hops Absorption
Liters / g How much wort the hops soak up. Generally 0.15 qt/oz, or 0.005 L/g Will be much less if you squeeze the hops bags.
Kettle Dead Space
Liters The amount of liquid (and gunk) left behind in your kettle in quarts or liters. Can be thought of as trub losses. Enter zero if you pour out your kettle.
Misc Losses
Liters A general catch all for misc losses, Generally 1 if anything
Cooling Shrinkage
% Volume lost when cooling wort from boiling to 68 °F / 20 °C, Generally 4%
Chilling Method Default wort chilling method. This option will be presented when you go to brew a recipe.

Altitude
Meters Equipment altitude (above sea level) affects water boiling temperature and sets Hops utilization factor in the recipe builder, you can use this site to check your altitude.
All Grain Brewing
Average Efficiency
% Default efficiency on the recipe editor. Bigger beers have lower efficiency. Generally 60% - 80%
Default Mash Thickness
Liters / kg Generally between 1.0-2.0 qt/lb or 2.0-4.0 L/kg See article on mashing thick or thin for more information.
Mash Water Unit Controls default setting for the 'mash water unit' option on the Brew page for users with their units set to US. The system requires metric users to mash in Liters.

Mash Tun Volume
Liters Mash tun volume in quarts or liters.
Mash Strike Heat Loss
°C How much heat is lost in your mash tun on initial infusion. Would be zero for HERMS/RIMS systems or a heated tun. Generally ~3° F, or ~1.6° C
Lauter Dead Space
Liters Amount of liquid left behind in your lauter/mash tun in quarts or liters. For fly spargers, enter the average amount left behind after rinsing.

• Tonzles
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #4547 by Tonzles
Thanks so much. That's a really good start for me to run with.

Can I just confirm, is that 1.5 L/KG that you generally use for your mash thickness? I was thinking 3 L/KG on my recipe (14kg of grain, 42L Strike water and then sparge with something around 28 Litres). I am new to this so this is just a confirmation, I'm not questioning your method (your videos are the absolute best brew videos I've seen).

More
3 years 11 months ago #4548 by Gash
Mash ratios need to get thrown out the window in one vessel systems most of the time, you just mash in with what works, so I use 40L for 10kg and you can go up and down from there depending on how much grain you use. All programs have a hard time with this because they rely on the ratio to work out things.
It doesnt matter which program or website I usually have to change the strike water amounts to what works instead of what they suggest.

Its to do with the dead space in the mash tun.. So some people will say the dead space is about 10L in the 65L machine, its actually called recoverable dead space because it gets used and not wasted. So they start with that and then add on the grain to water ratio amount. Sometimes the numbers just match up and it works.. like if you were using 10kg of grain 10x3=30 + 10L deadspace 40L sounds perfect, but say you used 15kg of grain in the next batch that would be 3x15=45L +10L... 55L strike water it wouldnt fit. Its becomes hard for programs because thats how they work. So I usuakky guestimate for the mash and if it needs more I can always add it, you'll work it out in a batch or two what you like and how much to use. Cheers!

• Tonzles
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 11 months ago #4549 by Tonzles
Perfect, that makes sense. Thanks mate.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top