You are not logged in.

Virgin Keg Under Pressure.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #829 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Virgin Keg Under Pressure.
I think i may have left it in secondary too long, its got a real home brew twang. Carbonation is good, head retention is fantastic as is lacing. Carbonation not lasting though but i suppose its too early really yet, it is not even kegged 24 hrs. Colour and clarity excellent, just wish it did not have that twang. :S

Definitely drinkable though it might need a bit of sweetener in the glass before pouring i think :blink:
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Dullahan Brewing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #830 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Virgin Keg Under Pressure.
Yeah, maybe give it some more time, even a few days can make a difference, especially after a few glasses :) I just checked mine, been about 4 days now and its sitting at 16 which is close enough to one bar, think it supposed to be 1.1 bar, but looking on my gauge its barely over the 1 bar line, by a sparrows fart. and depending how much you poured off, in my opinion the third glass that is sitting in the beer lines, wont be as carbonated as the rest in the keg, even though sometimes thats the bit the foams the most, the more foaming you get at the start makes the beer lose carbonation fast, its like when you overcarbonate, when you get a full glass of head, when its settles its virtually flat.
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Gash.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #831 by Dullahan Brewing

the more foaming you get at the start makes the beer lose carbonation fast, its like when you overcarbonate, when you get a full glass of head, when its settles its virtually flat.

You just described exactly what is happening at the moment. My gauge is a gee hair over 1 bar at the moment which should be in or around 16psi. Cant seem to shake the twang though, only the first brew,my coopers stout, had no twang and taste great now after a few months in bottle.

I can already see i am going to NEED more cornie kegs though :woohoo:

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #832 by Gash
a Stout (heavy ale/IPA) can hide a multitude of sins. Some say the twang is always there with extract beers, the best thing to avoid it is low fermentation temps (17c-20c) and strong flavoured beers.

It is possible you getting excess head from the 16psi on serving, but what you can tell is when you swirl the glass you should see that carbonation is still there slightly and feel some tingling in the mouth. Give it a few more hours, you can try turning the gas down to 10psi pour off the half glass that is sitting in the pipes drink it, and pour again.

Be careful though its very easy to get quite pissed while testing , happens to me all the time :whistle:

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #833 by Gash
Here is a great little site with some good info, but again following anyway one site for settings never works. Just got to find the right settings that work for you. When I first got mine everyone said 25psi for a couple of days, tested at night not ready, but by the morning was over carbonated. That's why I go to a pressure that is good for maintaining proper carbonation (16psi) and leave it there. Then turn down when having a session.

Draught Beer Made Easy

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #834 by Gash
so my fridge is set to 2c but the beer actually isnt that cold. They say 10-14psi any higher will be all foam but they also say thats for 4-6 feet of beer line. All the kegerator sellers over here recommend 13 feet of beer line thats 5mm ID. Thats what I have and the pressures I use as stated above works for my system. Fiddly bloody things they are!

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #835 by Dullahan Brewing
One thing that's definitely wrong is my beer line is way too short, only have like 4 feet of beer line between tap and keg. When i got setup he only sent me like 6 feet of line and i had to use some of that for the gas to keg.

Found some line locally at half price that should do, its for water so should be ok.I think there are several things i need to sort now that i am kegging though. One of those is setup a proper fermentation chamber to maintain lower temperatures.That may be contributing to that HB twang that all my brews seem to have.

Although i will be starting all grain eventually, kit and kilo is still going to be a majority part of my brewing purely for convenience. I have to admit that i am not inclined to start all grain until i can do kit and kilo without getting that twang and not have to brew a stout to cover it up.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #836 by Dullahan Brewing
I have my chest freezer plugged back in and down to lowest setting and a thermometer inside to see what lowest temp i will get on it is.Tomorrow i may put my heat wrap in there and see if i can get a nice balance down around 5 celsius or so.

• camstans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago - 10 years 9 months ago #837 by camstans
Replied by camstans on topic Virgin Keg Under Pressure.
Everyone has there different ways and once you get used to your setup you'll be tweaking every which way depending on how quick you want to drink the precious brew.

i used to chill the keg overnight to 1 degree or whatever the lowest my kegerator does at about 40-50 psi (3-3.5 bar) for about 24-36 hrs and it was fine.

since then ive got a bit more beer nerd about it and now doing about 20psi (1.5 bar) (also once the keg is down to 1 degree c about) for about 3 days and it comes out great, it really equialises better in my rig and i get perfect carb with a good head and lacing.

trust me Dullahan once you get to know your system you'll be tweakin it no worries in no time.

the only problem is that my fuller esb is only 2 days into carbing now and i cant drink it . . . . . . but it'll be worth the wait.

cheers
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by camstans.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 9 months ago #838 by Dullahan Brewing
Cheers Camstans. Have to say i did think my fridge would get nearer the 5 celsius than the 8 it currently is, a little disappointed in that. That being said the fridge is old and the seals are shot on the two doors so that may be it. If i canget the chest freezer to work right it will be great as thats my own to mess with :woohoo:

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top