Cider From Fresh Pressed Apple Juice.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #1191 by Dullahan Brewing
Cider From Fresh Pressed Apple Juice. was created by Dullahan Brewing
Direct quote from my recent post in my national club site. :ohmy:

In the last group buy i got two 25 litre drums of fresh pressed apple juice, dosed both with 15 campden tablets each, added 4tsp pectolase to each drum also. The following day i transferred each container into a sanitised glass carboy, pitched Lalvin EC 1118 into one and Vintners Harvest SN-9 into the other. The results for both were the same surprisingly as you can see below;

O.G. : 1048

F.G. : 998

ABV : 6.63%

Both of these came out dry as Ghandi's sandal :blink:

The SN-9 dropped a lot of trub,from 25 litres of juice i got about 20 litres of cider. The Lalvin EC 1118 i got about 23 litres of cider from 25 litres of apple juice.

Today i kegged the SN-9 and added sorbate to kill off the yeast, i forgot i had previously pasteurised it so this step was unnecessary really, this keg will be back sweetened later this week with either sugar or reduced shop bought apple juice. Batch primed the EC 1118 with 150 grams table sugar and bottled into 43 sanitised swing tops and stuck it in the cupboard to carb up :woohoo:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Dullahan Brewing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1192 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Cider From Fresh Pressed Apple Juice.
Fingers crossed all will end up fine! Since you kill the yeast wouldn't it be possible to start tasting as you get close to the end of fermentation and kill the yeast when it has got the right amount of sweetness for you? Or is there a reason besides that it's left to get as much Alcohol as possible and then back sweetened by adding bits and pieces until you get it right?

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #1193 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Cider From Fresh Pressed Apple Juice.

Fingers crossed all will end up fine! Since you kill the yeast wouldn't it be possible to start tasting as you get close to the end of fermentation and kill the yeast when it has got the right amount of sweetness for you? Or is there a reason besides that it's left to get as much Alcohol as possible and then back sweetened by adding bits and pieces until you get it right?

To be honest it was my first time doing a proper cider and i forgot all about it due to college and stuff so it fermented out, also the more sampling the greater risk of infection since it was not going to be drunk immediately.This cider is over 3 months old already :blink:

In hindsight tasting it now i think killing the ferment after 7-10 days would have yielded a better taste with no need for back sweeten :silly:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Dullahan Brewing.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1194 by Gash
Was just an idea, as you know I don't know much about brewing cider, but I stop my beers from getting too low sometimes. Cheers!

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1195 by Dullahan Brewing

Was just an idea, as you know I don't know much about brewing cider, but I stop my beers from getting too low sometimes. Cheers!

Out of curiosity how do you stop your beers before they are fully fermented ? :woohoo:

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1196 by Gash
refrigerate

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1197 by Dullahan Brewing
Thanks to some discussion with a friend i tried some of the kegged cider tonight and kept adding measured amounts of Dunnes finest apple juice until i found the level of sweetness i liked. Worked out that i needed to add 4 litres of apple juice to my cornie but i did not have that muh room so what i did was i poured 4 litres into a pan and reduced it down to 2 litres and tipped it into the keg.Will let it sit a couple of days and sample again :woohoo:

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top