You are not logged in.

Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?

• munisingbeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #485 by munisingbeer
Replied by munisingbeer on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
reminds me i should stock up on bulbs

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• m3taL_Brewer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #487 by m3taL_Brewer
Replied by m3taL_Brewer on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
Hey guys,

Im thinking about getting somthing similar to this

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/rockbank/pet-pro...ee-postage/347167138

im sure a 60w one would be sufficient a small wattage 240v fan in there to circ some heat around would definatly help... but i', probably getting way too technical now hahaha....

I'll prob end up with a lamp and similar setup to pump heat in, Those Eco halogen bulbs that Gash suggested are probably the best thing they use less power and they smash out the heat like crazy....im looking at putting it up in the freezer section and putting a fan between the freezer and fridge section to pipe the heat down....

Lots of ideas....

The main floor i can find in an Aquarium heater in the wort is that in fish tanks the water is moving around all the time so hot spots arent created...

Now i understand a fermenting wort moves around naturally but im sceptical on the fact that it would creat hot spots in the wort which could lead in a hot spot adding off flavors to the beer....

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #491 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
Indeed metal brewer thats my main worry too. That may also have been an issue with the recent pineapple heffe fiasco. Thinking back on it now it was getting up around 25 celsius at the top of the wort when i had the ferm wrap heater around the fv. :blink:

• m3taL_Brewer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #493 by m3taL_Brewer
Replied by m3taL_Brewer on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
I guess using a heat source like a lamp is not applying direct heat so it may have some advantages there, although heat matts apply heat from the bottom which may regulate the heat transfer better....

Lamps are cheap, easy to find and simple to setup can't beat em

• munisingbeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #498 by munisingbeer
Replied by munisingbeer on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
when this weeks HBW goes live it shows my heating set up and how my light bulb sits.

More
7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2345 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic Aquarium Immersion Heaters Directly In Wort?
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to jump in here and say that I use an old waterbed heater mat that has a temp regulator and probe - I can set it anywhere from 60F to 100F. I can just wrap it around the Big Mouth Bubbler and it leaves about 1 inch of the glass exposed so that I can tape the probe onto the glass.This allows me to 1.) control the fermentation temp better; 2.) dial a different temp for secondary if needed/required by recipe; 3.) have a heater which (I would hope), shouldn't have 'hot spots' or 'cold spots' since it wraps around the entire fermenter, rather than a lizard/snake heater that would sit underneath.
I have a few aquarium heaters, but I was concerned about the 'hot spots' as has been mentioned. I didn't even think about using a tub of water to 'bottle condition' that gives me something to think about! Of course, with these sub-zero temps, I don't think the aquarium heater would do the job ;>)
Just my 2 cents worth ...
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by MTbottle.

More
7 years 1 month ago #2348 by Gash
Cheers mate!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top