You are not logged in.

Sanitising...... General Chat about!!!

• m3taL_Brewer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #443 by m3taL_Brewer
Sanitising...... General Chat about!!! was created by m3taL_Brewer
Just wanted to start a topic on sanitation, lots of people do different things......

I used defender until i run out about 3 weeks ago.... as a new brewer i wasnt very smart with it and wasted a lot by making up a 25l bucket full to soak my bottles in.... then tipped it done this bout 4 times.... i then split it there went half a bottle..... Now i just put about 1 inch in a bottle, shake it 4 times over 3 mins then pour it back into a 2lt container and then use it for my fermenter i try use 2lt of it to last a week between brews and bottling....

for the last few brews iv been using Bleach / vinigar mixed upto a no rinse forumlar 10ml of each to 10lt.... soak fermenter in 10 lt of it then rinse it out with a boiling kettle full of water before i add anything too it...

I use the Aldi version of napisan uncencted to clean fermenter and bottles.

I'll grab another bottle of defender when i go to GG next..... wouldnt mind starsan but i could spend the diffence on hops or yeast and i'm watching my dollars quite closely at the moment

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kezzbar_brewery
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #444 by kezzbar_brewery
Replied by kezzbar_brewery on topic Sanitising...... General Chat about!!!
1 small bottle of star san should last you a couple of years.

+1 for unsented napisan to clean fermenters no scrubbing

I use boiling water to clean my kegs and sanitise

I also NO CHILL so the boiling wort sanitises the no chill cubes

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #446 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Sanitising...... General Chat about!!!
I used Sodium metabisulfite for at least 15 years with no problems at all, than started using Bleach or Defender. Currently I have Star San, I reckon this bottle will last two years maybe? and I usually make fresh stuff every brew. I understand the initial expense of Star San is off putting it stopped me trying it for years. But then I've also heard the Star San creators state that the vinegar/bleach mix is just as effective. MUST REMEMBER NOT TO MIX BLEACH AND VINEGAR BEFORE ADDING TO WATER. Add one them to the water first then add the other.
and yep Di-san (aldi oxyclean/napisan) works a treat!

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #476 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Sanitising...... General Chat about!!!
Don't see how a small bottle of starsan could last two years especially if you are making a fresh lot every brew day? Do ye not make up the full 25 litres every brew time? Sorry but i am new to this scene and this product.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #478 by Gash
I only make up 2 or 3 litres every brew day. Could probably do it with 500ml if I really was trying. It has a contact time of 30 secs so a few shakes in the fermenter and you are done. The foaming helps with keeping sufficient Star San on the sides of the fermenter for the required time.

• kezzbar_brewery
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #480 by kezzbar_brewery
Replied by kezzbar_brewery on topic Sanitising...... General Chat about!!!
I make up about 5l and reuse it probably 10 to 15 times

• m3taL_Brewer
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #488 by m3taL_Brewer
Replied by m3taL_Brewer on topic Sanitising...... General Chat about!!!
Craig tube done a bit of a thing on this after hearing some controdicting reports directly from starsan, once person said that it was fine to reuse multiple times (1-2 Months)

Then there was another report from the director of starsan saying that its not recomended to use (probably to keep the sales up as if 100% of the people who never re use it start reusing there sales plummett)

Then he spoke to a Chemist or similar who stated as long as the PH is below 3 its fine..... and then craig done some tests on older reused starsan vs new starsan and the PH were both 2.0.

Ultimatly its up to those who use it to make the call..... i'm re using it a bit for now but if it start to look lurky or murky i'll be canning it and just making up small batches...

putting small amounts in the bottom of bottles and shaking a few times over 5 mins works well (i use defender it needs 3 min contact)

500ml into a clean rinsed keg shaking it around a few times then into the next... etc into a fermenter is fine...

HOWEVER!!! to the New Brewers....

Using More starsan or similar is DEFIANTLY not a short cut on CLEANING.... Items must be spick n span and rinced of cleaning products before sanitizing this is one thing i guess can be over looked..... she'll be right i'll add more sanitizer.... NO :)

and if this is done you will never dirty your product allowing you to re use it as much or as little as you wish....

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago #494 by Gash
This is the interview that must be heard
Star San Interview

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #496 by Gash
Every time I hear about the pH of Star San it seems to get lower lol.. I think he discusses it in that interview, if not I have another interview with him to. From memory under 3.5 is good. :dry:
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gash.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #497 by Gash
Just a quick listen to that again and it seems most breweries sanitise at 5pH and under, thats not using Star San.
Last edit: 11 years 1 month ago by Gash.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top