You are not logged in.

Mash Tun Build: Advice Appreciated

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #1294 by xenon
Mash Tun Build: Advice Appreciated was created by xenon
I'm building an esky type mash tun very soon. I can't decide on which popular design to use. Is there any benefits from using the copper/PVC tube manifold design over a single/double stainless mesh pipe (wash machine hose) manifold ? I have a 60L rectangle esky and I think for a chiller that size i'd need at least 2 if not 3 inlet tubes on the manifold to spread across the width...? If going to stainless mesh hose i'd tee joint off the ball valve and then elbow each side and then attach a mesh hose to each elbow. So a double. Or simply go with a single cost effective straight through nipple and S/S mesh hose. Held on with a hose clamp?

Is there any great advantage/efficiency gains using a multiple tubed copper/pvc manifold vs ye'old wash machine hose or hoses. Do you get more or less trub with one? Is a 60L esky to big? Does the PVC one want to float up?

Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1295 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Mash Tun Build: Advice Appreciated
60L is very big would be ok for double batches 50L or so. I use a 32L esky for my 23-25L batches up to 6-7% no worries.
I prefer the cPVC/Copper manifold, which can be made cheaply too. But yes the pvc tries to float so does the copper if not secured, but this is solved by letting some water through the tap while filling, it doesnt take much, maybe 500ml and that is just emptied back into the tun or discarded. Or you just secure the joins tightly I use plumbers tape to make the joins tighter but still run a little water through to get the air out.
Some people use the stainless braids without problems , others have problems with stuck mashes because they arent as forgiving if you get a fine crush by accident. If going for the braids I'd suggest reinforcing them with stainless wire coiled inside.
I've been using my cPVC one for well over a year now, and its a little bent but still does the job perfectly, I have made a copper one but have been to lazy to cut the slots :) . I started with PVC because it was cheap and no hassle, made it in 30mins , I'm moving on to copper just for the hell of it and it was time to change the PVC one, for no real reason, mainly for something new to fiddle with!
Guess it comes down to personal choice and price!

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1296 by Gash
I get away in mine with just two tubes, depends on the width of the bottom of your esky, and the diameter of the tubes you use.

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #1297 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Mash Tun Build: Advice Appreciated
The 60L was free and its new. I have a 20L but that's getting to small and i use it for parties and was going to use it as a pre-chiller chiller as well. I only intend on making 20L ish / 5 gal batches and some double's will be on cards down the road. I can pre-heat etc and I saw you using a camp mattress cut down to size....but will its size be problematic?

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #1298 by xenon
I just measured it and calculated its only 49L not including the head space in the lid. Its going to have to do cause i'm too cheap to go buy one.

Was leaning towards the stainless mesh cause then i would have to cut the holes in :lol: lazy as well. :lol: Then I sorta thought i wouldn't get away with it being so large. I'll get some pricing that will probably determine.

measures 33W x 53L x 29D cm

Cheers

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1299 by Gash
It's worth a try if that's what you have got, certainly a preheat will help and so will some sort of covering on the mash to reduce head space. If you make a manifold for the large esky and decide its too big its not hard to shorten the length of the manifold and make it fit a smaller esky if needed. I can see the size being an issue if you want to brew mid strength style beers 3.5-4% ish the grain bed will be very thin. If you are brewing on the higher side alc% it wont be such a problem. It's worth a try, you'll still end up with beer it will be just harder to maintain a constant temperature.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1300 by Gash
and same goes for the stainless mesh

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1301 by Gash
Nothing wrong with test run whack 15-20 Litres of water about 70c in it , close it and see how it holds temp. it will probably hold temp a bit better with the grain.

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #1302 by xenon
Didnt think about the fact that I can always shorten down a manifold. Good thinking bru!

As for the beers i'll be brewing...I imagined 6% as my average. I have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to developing a recipe or how to up FG other than adding sugar or more grain, but yeah I like my beer to have balls and i have a goal for a few styles i want to brew and drink regular.

like me some amber but 6% amber and red IPA/red APA. IPA/APA with generous hopping and aromatics and a porter/stout of some coffee, chocolaty, coconutty persuasion like a silky smooth beer pudding :lol: dreamer

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top