You are not logged in.

Sensors for STC1000

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 7 months ago #2217 by MTbottle
Sensors for STC1000 was created by MTbottle
Hi Gash,
I'm still working on getting my system electrified ... I've got a box and cut the holes for it so far ...... I've had my pots in a Stainless welder's shop for about 2 or 3 months, and now he says he hasn't got the time to weld the fittings in them ...... so I'm going to just go with weldless fittings.

I've got 3 questions for you Gash, since you're the electronics WIZ ;>):
1.) Can you extend the length of the sensor without throwing the temperatures off if you use the same gauge wire (20 gauge, I'd guess)?
2.) If not, what kind of thermocouple do I need (Is it K-type)?
3.) Will this one work for my STC1000 and if not, what would you recommend - (I need one about 2-3 meters long)?
3M Stainless Steel Thermocouple K type 100mm Probe Sensor High Temperature #
I've asked on other forums and all I get is "use PID's, not STC's," - and I say "thanks but no thanks, I've already bought the STC's and if they work for Gash, they oughta work for me!"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 7 months ago #2220 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Sensors for STC1000
G'day mate,
1) You can extend the lead, then you'd test it and the stc-1000 should have a calibration setting 4 I think it is if needed. You can also buy better fittings such as these (just a random search) www.ebay.com.au/itm/NTC-M8-1-25-Thread-W...9Tf1e5i5zkqG_K5Lav9Q although I havent tried them.

2) The probes you are looking for are NTC 10K.

3) K-type won't work unfortunately.

Back to the PID, I do actually have PIDs for when my herms system is finished. I use STC-1000 for my HLT and Ferment fridges. STC-1000 can be used for herm, rims or whatever you are using and will work, although PID is a better option, it just gives you more and finer control. STC and be adjusted to have about a .6c differential just from memory which is perfectly fine for brewing but a PID will give you .1c. The reason I havent done a video about a STC-1000 as a mash controller is that my esky only loses maybe 2c a batch over an hour, and using an STC-1000 and recircing I'd still be swaying at least 1c (.6 + a little extra probably) so it was a lot of work for 1c, but as I said STC-1000 will work no problems and if I wasn't using an esky but a keg or something that wasn't so insulated and I didn't have a PID I'd be happy to use an STC-1000. My beat mate brewer here Pete his HERMS system operates from STC-1000 and he won Champion Brewer at last years Oktoberfest. So the perfectionists may say PIDs or nothing but making good beer isnt all about having the best most expensive equipment.

Thank god it's Friday! Cheers mate!
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTbottle

More
7 years 7 months ago - 7 years 7 months ago #2221 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Sensors for STC1000
I use this sensor in my HLT the cord is fairly flimsy but my HLT doesnt get moved around. www.ibrew.com.au/products/ntc-temperature-probe it needs to screw into something I have it going into the bottom of my sight glass.
Last edit: 7 years 7 months ago by Gash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTbottle

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top