You are not logged in.

More Fermentasaurus Questions

• RAD
  • RAD's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 10 months ago #2424 by RAD
More Fermentasaurus Questions was created by RAD
Hey Gash,

I have watched your You tube videos featuring the Fermentasaurus which were very informative despite your potty mouth Gash :lol: and now after doing heaps of reading and watching the videos that are around and other than probably needing to make a purpose shelf for it so it will fit in my fridge I am sold and will be ordering one soon.

Now that you have a done a brew in it the question I have is being a bottling brewer is it worth getting the pressure kit? or just start with the standard kit and then see how it goes?
Cheers
Rob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #2425 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic More Fermentasaurus Questions
ohh man,, I just wrote out a novel of an answer and lost it because I wasn't logged in... Now for the short version :)

Basically you miss out on what I think are the best features but since you are bottling that doesnt really matter, I think if you have to build a shelf and things I'm not sure on many advantages over a normal fermenter, except the yeast bottle, otherwise its bigger and more difficult to move around. If you bulk carbonate I guess you dont really have to move it full anyway.

If you ferment under pressure and then want to bottle you'd have to make sure you tried to bleed most of the CO2 out of the beer because it ends up nearly carbonated and it would be hard to know how much sugar to use. I think you'd have to take the pressure lid off or open the valve right up just after main ferment so it finishes off like a regular fermenter.

Saying that it still is a perfectly functioning regular fermenter and I wouldn't get the pressure kit at the start unless you really want it. Cheers!

• RAD
More
6 years 10 months ago #2426 by RAD
Replied by RAD on topic More Fermentasaurus Questions
Thanks for the response Gash exactly the answers I am after.
The main reason for having build a shelf is my fermentation fridge is not rectangular and it has an annoying curve in the back of it where the crisper would normally be and therefore the the wire stand would no fit in. So the idea that I have is to build a shelf with a keyhole in it to slot the fermentasaurus it and therefore support the vessel rather than lean it up against the inside of the fridge like I have seen on the net.
On another note it would be interesting to find out how long you would have to put the bulk priming mix in the vessel via the trub bottle before removing it to swap it out for the bottling attachment given that on the interwebs the guys are saying that you use it as a primary and secondary.
Thanks again
Cheers
Rob

More
6 years 10 months ago #2427 by Gash
You could carb in it, if thats what you mean by secondary by adding sugar mix, but you'd still need a gas bottle and beer gun to put it into bottles or dispense from it, it would be ok for half a dozen beers but then it'd run out of carb. Remembering that when you fill bottles that way at home they really need to be kept refrigerated and not aged, bottles of homebrew dont keep so well unless they are bottle carbed.

oops just reread what you said. I'm not sure you'd know how well the sugar mix was mixed in to be honest. You couldnt leave it for very long at all cause the yeast would start munching away immediately. You'd have to pick it up and stir it up I guess.

• RAD
More
6 years 10 months ago #2428 by RAD
Replied by RAD on topic More Fermentasaurus Questions
Hmmm more food for thought I guess, I suppose I could just rack it off to my normal bottling fermenter and then bulk prime and bottle the way I do now but that kind of defeats the purpose of the fermentasaurus in the first place, if only the SS Brew Tech 7 gal brew bucket had a tap in the base to get the beer of the yeast then it would be perfect but at the price the fermentasaurus still looks the goods.
Thanks again Gash.
Cheers
Rob

More
6 years 10 months ago #2429 by Gash
Thats the thing, if you not using the pressure kit etc its just a fermenter, yeah its a conical and yeah you can get the the yeast out but thats the only advantage really.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top