You are not logged in.

Chest freezer fermentation chamber heating??

• ivanwex
  • Topic Author
  • Beer & Fly Fishing, I'm easily pleased...
More
6 years 3 months ago #2966 by ivanwex
Hey everyone,

I am looking at taking the step of making a fermentation chamber. At the moment I am looking at converting a chest freezer. I currently have 2 heat pads in my inventory, just wondering if you guys reckon that would be enough power to heat the chamber if I had 2 brews in there. I would look at having them on the side rather under the beer as to not be directly heating the trub. Let me know your thoughts guys.

Cheers
Ivan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 3 months ago #2967 by Gash
G'day mate, Only issue with freezer ferment chambers is the difficulty of getting the fermenters in and out.
The other issue you will get is that you sound like you are trying to control the temps of two ferments in the one chamber, which doesn't really work. You can control one, possible issues are the one that is currently fermenting will be warm and heating up cause the freezer to kick in during that first 4 or 5 days. The ambient temp in the freezer will typically colder then your fermenter which will in turn lower the other fermenter which doesnt want lowering. If they are just aging that doesnt matter but if they are fermenting still it could cause the ferment to stop or slow in the unmonitored fermenter. And Vice Versa even, if one needs heating and the other doesnt.

Some people don't worry and just go ahead and do it. It just depends, if the reason you are building it is for precise control of both fermenters thats very hard to do, near impossible.

Controlling ambient temperature in a fermenter chamber isnt very successful unless all are past that first week of ferment. During that first week controlling by ambient temp doesn't cut it.

Heat pad, heat belt , reptile heater it doesnt really matter, all will work.

Just some things to think about.

Cheers mate! Hope that helps a little!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivanwex

More
6 years 3 months ago #2969 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Chest freezer fermentation chamber heating??
Hello Ivanwex, Gash has some good points there. And after a quick google search you cant tip it on its side either. Personally for what its worth and the price of an old second hand fridge ( and often someones got one to give away to get rid of for nothing) i think youd be happier in the long run. Save your back. Good luck, let us know how you get on , cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ivanwex

• ivanwex
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #2974 by ivanwex
Replied by ivanwex on topic Chest freezer fermentation chamber heating??
Cheers Gash, bloody legend.
I did think that I would struggle with 2 ferments at once, I think I might have gotten carried away as this is me getting into the fermentation chamber world :).
I would like a fridge to do it like yourself, however it looks like a chest freezer might be my only option. Ideally I would like to upgrade to a fermentasaurus and a big fridge. We will see how I go.

Cheers.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by ivanwex.

• ivanwex
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 3 months ago - 6 years 3 months ago #2975 by ivanwex
Replied by ivanwex on topic Chest freezer fermentation chamber heating??
Cheers Finnroo. I do want a fridge, there doesn't seem to be many about at the moment down South in NZ, but I might persevere and try find on. Cheers
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by ivanwex.

More
6 years 3 months ago #2976 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Chest freezer fermentation chamber heating??
Good luck, You ll be surprised what happens when you start asking around. Cheers.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top