You are not logged in.

Grainfather v. Robobrew comparison?

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 week ago #3151 by MTbottle
Grainfather v. Robobrew comparison? was created by MTbottle
I looked to see if you had a thread on this subject, but found none. A few weeks ago I saw a video on You Tube that compared the two systems. I'd like to know if anyone here has done that? (Gash?) The main thing that I took away from the vid, that concerned me about those systems was that for a 5 gallon (19L?) brew, the Robobrew was filled up almost to the top edge just before the boil, and the Grainfather looked like it still had another 3 or 4 inches (don't ask me about MMs or CMs) left. Either way, if you're going to get a really active boil in either one of them, it seems like you'd be having boil-overs all the time unless you babysat them constantly) like I have to do anyways, but I thought these systems were supposed to be worry-free!
Just wondering if anyone else has any input as far as pros and cons of the two systems.
TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 week ago - 6 years 1 week ago #3152 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Grainfather v. Robobrew comparison?
G'day, it may have of been an older video Robobrew V1 bottom tap was fairly high at the bottom, so unless you tipped it up a bit you'd only get 19-20L out because you'd leave 3.5L behind. Newer versions you can easy get 23L out. There is not much difference at all in brew size, or any of the actual hardware, the biggest difference was always in the controllers, grainfather you can buy wifi enabled controller, although more $, some really love that feature but for me its a bit over the top and I'd rarely use it, you're usually either just in the next room or backyard. The grainfathers basic chiller is better than the robobrews basic chiller, although there is a robobrew chiller nearly the same that they sell separately. I don't use either of those chillers, I use my plate chiller.
Its a common myth that grainfathers are manufactured in NZ, they aren't NZ dont make stuff like that same as Australia doesn't, Very possible they come from the same factory in China, or one next door.
Robobrew is unbeatable for the price, grainfather seems slightly better made, but still has some issues itself. Grainfather has a good warranty system, but then so does the Robobrew if you buy it direct from Kegland or a shop you know you trust.
The boil over thing is going to trouble you in every system! You can't walk away at that time lol Although a quick squirt of some antifoam and you probably can just walk away if you must.
If money is no issue and you want wifi etc get the Grainfather (might be bluetooth not sure), Robobrew is less than half, was near a third the price last few months.
I've been following the Grainfather forums and the robobrew forums for years and they both have issues sometimes as with anything electronic.
When it comes down to beer quality there is no difference at all of course.
A mate did a side by side brew a little while ago I'll find the link.
Last edit: 6 years 1 week ago by Gash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GrahamT

More
6 years 1 week ago #3153 by Gash
It's here, keep in mind no one there had much experience at all using the Robobrew, robobrew virgins! lol Cheers

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 week ago #3163 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic Grainfather v. Robobrew comparison?
@ Gash - Yeah, that was the video I was mentioning - the head space was the concern I had ..... after watching it again, the fluid level doesn't seem as close to the top as it did in my mind - see how quickly the mind goes in us old goats? I really enjoyed watching it for the second time, Thanks!. When I changed laptops, I accidentally lost a lot of the videos.

We may be having/planning to move clear across the country this next Fall (Sept/Oct here in the US), so I'm trying to finish putting together my 3-pot electric brewing system, so's I can get it up and running, advertise it and sell it for enough money to buy a GF or RBB for the small cabin we will be moving into in another state. That was why I wanted opinions on the differences ..... Really, the only plus that I see in the GF over the RBB is the fact that the GF has a PID for control, and I think it can be separated from the equipment. That would be a added plus if it needed repairs, but as you mentioned in your post, the RBB is1/2 the price, and for me that's a BIG consideration!
The one thing I don't like about both of them is that the heating element is not user-replaceable. That might be fine if you live close to a dealer, but in my case, it's not a good sales point. I'd rather have them send me a replacement part, than to pay the postage to send it back and forth for a repair, that's just me, of course, but because I was an appliance repairman, replacement of failed parts would be no big thing!
Thanks

More
6 years 1 week ago #3164 by Gash
Yep thats the thing with the elements.. and I'm not sure how each one runs differently on whatever your voltage is which is another consideration.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTbottle

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 9 months ago - 5 years 9 months ago #3387 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic Grainfather v. Robobrew comparison?
Thanks Gash for your comments.
I'm looking at both of them right now for a new system in the future. I'm finally getting close to finishing my 3 pot electric system (which won't fit into the very small cabin [16 ft x 16 ft] we are most likely going to move into in the fall), so as soon as I get it done and up and running :(. I've invested much more than a GF would have cost me back then, so I'll take a loss but I'll advertise on Craigslist and try to sell it for enough to buy either one of those OR possibly a "Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil" (www.williamsbrewing.com) which, with a 4 gallon sparge water heater would run about $460 - about $12 less than a Robobrew. For me, the off-putting part of the Mash & Boil is the lack of a recirc system like the Robo and GF have. I'm curious about that, do you see the recirculation of the wort being a big deal, as far as the quality of your brews, or it is just more for show, in your opinion. The M&B is probably made in another one of those factories next to the Robo and the GF in China, since it doesn't say Made in USA or anywhere else in the catalog!
BTW, due to your info and comments, as well as the price of a GF ($999.00) I would most likely be going with the Robo if not the M&B, because of the cost factor, also, I am such a computer illiterate that Bluetooth/Wifi wouldn't help me at all!
If I did decide on the M&B, I suppose I could put a pump after the valve on the M&B outlet, and 'create' a recirc system it the opinions of you and others who are familiar with the Robo think that the recirc system is an advantage, rather than just a bunch of whistles, bells and buzzers. But, of course, that would put me right back in the range of a Robo, with less work and headaches. All in one! Unless I can find a 4 gallon coffee urn for less cost, I'd still like the sparge water heater, just for convience sake (IF I can make room for it where we're moving to.).
It's still illegal here in the US (last time I checked the ATF website), to make your own hooch, so the distiller wouldn't make any difference either.

These are the small systems I've been looking at for comparisons - the top two are definitely out! I like beer, but at my age, one of these high end systems would have to out live me twice over to make it worth it for me.
Picobrew Zymatic - $2000 - 2.5 gal - Morebeer.com
Braumeister - $1800 - 5 gal - Morebeer.com
GrainFather - $1000 - 5/6 gal - Wiliamsbrewing.com
Robobrew - $473 - 5/6 gal - Wiliamsbrewing.com
Mash&Boil - $300 - 5/6 gal - Wiliamsbrewing.com

Thanks - I'd appreciate any input!
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by MTbottle. Reason: FFE's

More
5 years 9 months ago #3388 by Gash
You can cope without the recirc without any issues, I guess besides if not trying to step mash manually the only real advantage is not having to vorlauf to clear the wort at the end of the mash and as you say you can always add a cheap pump later.
I'd love a braumeister but unless I win the lottery that's out of the question, saying that I've had no issues with my robos.
The MB seems nice and cheap, I cant say I've used one though.
Not much else I can say really!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top