You are not logged in.

sabro pale ale (ment to be xpa)

• sittingaround
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 5 days ago #4451 by sittingaround
sabro pale ale (ment to be xpa) was created by sittingaround
I brewed a quick 2 tin recipe the other week that tastes great but has no hop aroma. I use a 3 stage under sink filter for my brewing water. Beersmith states its very malty on the chart.
I did not add any salts to this brew and i wonder if my water is the reason the dry hop aromas are not coming through at all?

Recipe.
1x tin black rock pacific ale (added to 8L water and brought it up to 70 deg)
1x tin Coopers pale malt (added to the same 8L water and tin)
20g Sabro steeped for 25min

Fermented in fermentasaurus at about 10psi with US-05 @ 18deg
At day 7 I dry hopped Sabro 80grams
Day 12 cold crashed 2deg
Day 14 kegged.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 4 days ago - 4 years 4 days ago #4452 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic sabro pale ale (ment to be xpa)
I know that gypsum affects perceived bitterness, and you dry hopped and steeped so your after a bit of flavour and a lot of aroma . I don't think adding salts will make any difference. I googled that hop variety and its in the Citra variety so having used Citra once I would expect a massive aromatic character. I see you used 100g all up so that's plenty you would think.
Were the hops properly vacuum packed and stored in a freezer. Its a long shot but were they any good to start with. Just a thought, make sure the vacuum pouch is intact and have been stored properly when you buy them. Sorry i cant be of more help. Cheers mate.
Last edit: 4 years 4 days ago by Finnroo.

• sittingaround
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 4 days ago #4453 by sittingaround
Replied by sittingaround on topic sabro pale ale (ment to be xpa)
Yeah the hops were sealed in foil packs from Grain and Grape 2018 crop.
I opened another pack today and i wonder if they labled th ehops incorrectly. They smell more herbal than fruity.
I did a test lst night by adding 1gm of Gypsum to a schooner glass and it definatly was a better beer.
Im going to make a hop tea and add some gypsum. then transfer beer onto it in a new keg.

Im begining to become a little P/O with brewing to be honest. I seem to be following all the rules but my beers are just ok. And no matter what amount i dry hop with im not getting any aroma.

More
4 years 3 days ago #4454 by Finnroo
Yes brewing is often a continuing learning curve so dont let it get the better of you. Just make sure you take your notes about all your brews, your process, ingredients , tasting notes etc. Stick to the same recipe and alter one thing at a time only. In this case your keen on trying some gypsum so give it a go and if your more happy then stick with that .Then repeat the recipe again with the gypsum but use a different hop like maybe Nelson Sauv (same additions). or Citra. You might want to try a brew not filtering your water. But the bottom line is to only brew one recipe and adjust one thing at a time. Enjoy your brewing and dont be too hard on yourself. cheers mate

• sittingaround
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 3 days ago #4455 by sittingaround
Replied by sittingaround on topic sabro pale ale (ment to be xpa)
Yeah you are right.
I started using a 3 stage filter as my tap water has a ton of chlorine so much so you can smell it plain as day when filling the bath tub. Every brew before the filter would have a harsh bitterness to it. Now that has gone so im one step closer to something good.

Just bought a diary to log my brews in so hopeflly this will help.

Cheers

More
4 years 3 days ago #4456 by Finnroo
Top man, Its the way to go and i meant to say before that trying different yeast is helpful as well . I wish you well with your brewing, and stick with it, we learn as we go. cheers buddy take care.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top