You are not logged in.

COOPERS ENGLISH BITTER + EXTRAS.

• Madiman
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4720 by Madiman
COOPERS ENGLISH BITTER + EXTRAS. was created by Madiman
NEED SOME IDEAS and ADVICE - I am a relatively new to grains.

I am wanting to make an Extract + Grains brew of - ENGLISH BITTER .
Seen many ideas on how to improve, TOO MANY - but now I'm so not sure what is best.

I intend to use a Coopers Bitter extract, plus 1kg of light dry malt, OR a 1.5 can of liquid malt extract, plus some grains
But not sure what to use, !
MY DESIRED BREW. - English bitter with a fuller body - smooth full taste and good head retention.

RECIPE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #4721 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic COOPERS ENGLISH BITTER + EXTRAS.
I would add some light crystal, no need for dark crystal, english bitter kit has plenty of colour and flavour already, maybe 200g, what else you add depends how far you want to go, you could add some base malt maybe 500g, and maybe 200-300g of flaked oats (quick Porridge) Then you could mash that all together.. but I'll stop there because I could make a hundred suggestions and would be better to know how far you want to go.. You could just steep the crystal malt and be done. You could do something like this, but use light crystal.

• Madiman
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4722 by Madiman
Replied by Madiman on topic COOPERS ENGLISH BITTER + EXTRAS.
Thanks again Gash, Yes I was thinking on those lines of additions, I guess I was looking for idea support, to encourage me to use some of the grain you mentioned. So thanks again for the suggestions Gash, I'm now more confident to give this a go !.
Cheers
Tim

• Madiman
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4723 by Madiman
Hi Gash,
Thanks for the Brown ale video its on my list for next month.
Cheers
Tim

More
3 years 8 months ago #4724 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic COOPERS ENGLISH BITTER + EXTRAS.
If you do it dont use the dark crystal, it was all I had, stick with light crystal, and I'd probably go with a more basic yeast like just US-05 or something, this yeast finished quite high, it was nice still though, if using the yeast I used, maybe add a few hundred grams of sugar too just to give it a touch more booze. Cheers!

More
3 years 8 months ago #4725 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic COOPERS ENGLISH BITTER + EXTRAS.
Perfect , And as you say you could suggest a list as long as your arm sort of thing. Me personally, I always add 200g of wheat malt to whatever I brew for mouth feel and head. It also adds a certain x factor to my beer. Just an additional thought guys. Cheers

• Madiman
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4726 by Madiman
Thanks Finnroo.
Just some feedback, from my brew shop - the guy there says grains in such small amounts 200g etc. Doesn't add flavour or other qualities - just colour . .

What are your thoughts -

Tim

More
3 years 8 months ago #4727 by Finnroo
Thanks Madiman, Its fair enough that the brew shop has that opinion if he truly believes that but that's not my experience. Gash has suggested 200g of light crystal and 200 - 300g of oats and thats bang on in my humble opinion. Just go with that and note the difference. Then on the next brew or something try 200g of wheat malt and see what you think. Just remember to change only one thing at a time.
Additions of 200g are very standard in all my brews and really make a considerable difference to my beer. Good luck, less is more lol. cheers

• Madiman
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #4729 by Madiman
Thanks Finnroo,
I agree with you, because with the wort that comes off the grain, has a beautiful smell, and has to make that bit of difference. Personally I think he's a bit of a bullshit merchant. Logic would say it must make some difference in taste. I am interested in your recommendation for the wheat malt, so from what you've said, it adds a good head retention and smoother mouthfeel.
Tim

More
3 years 8 months ago #4730 by Finnroo
Cheers Tim, Enjoy.The key to developing a recipe is to adjust one thing at a time. Cheers mate.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top