You are not logged in.

Chimay Blue Yeast Harvesting And Growing.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #1407 by Dullahan Brewing
Chimay Blue Yeast Harvesting And Growing. was created by Dullahan Brewing
Chimay Blue Yeast Harvesting And Growing.
Had my only bottle of this beer at the weekend ad as i was about to throw out the empty got a brain fart to try and grow the yeast from the bottle. Rinsed out the bottle with some boiled and cooled water into a clean empty jar that had been rinsed with boiling water, added some more boiled cooled water about half way up, stuck in two teaspoons of sugar and put it in the kitchen cupboard. I figured that if it kicked off at all i would try to grow it up properly, well next day there was fizzy fizzy so i did a bbiab with about 3 lbs of ale malt and two small hop additons at 30mins and 15min and a 1/4 tsp Irish Moss at 15mins in a 90min boil.
Ended up with about five litres post boil, filled up a 2 litre soda bottle with some and stuck that in the freezer for future use. The remainder i proceed as normal using a one gallon glass demiohn.That was yesterday and today she is bubbling away nicely, slowly but steadily. I am hoping this is a success, i will get a couple of litres of a nice belgian ale of some sort and more importantly loads more yeasties.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #1437 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Chimay Blue Yeast Harvesting And Growing.
Brewed up a simple smash with this, think it was like 3kg MO and wilamette,kegged it coupe of weeks ago and tbh it did not smell great, bit funky.It's in the chiller now with over two weeks so hoping it has settled down a bit but i am thinking now this is one experiment not worth repeating. :(

More
9 years 8 months ago #1442 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Chimay Blue Yeast Harvesting And Growing.
Bummer I was going at some stage try a Westletren clone using St Bernadus or Westmalle bottle yeast. Need some of that sugar in my profile pic too apparently...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dullahan Brewing

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #1443 by Dullahan Brewing

Bummer I was going at some stage try a Westletren clone using St Bernadus or Westmalle bottle yeast. Need some of that sugar in my profile pic too apparently...

I am not saying don't try it,however chances are it will still have some funk to it.That said i still kegged mine and it is currently sitting between 2-3 celsius in my chiller for the last two weeks, going to sample tonight, then leave it another two weeks before sampling again, if still no imporvement then i am dumping it. :unsure:

More
9 years 8 months ago #1447 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Chimay Blue Yeast Harvesting And Growing.
out of interest are you fermenting in a controlled environment?

cheers
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dullahan Brewing

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago #1449 by Dullahan Brewing
Yes m8 i only use the one room in the house where the temp is steady enough anyway, never gets higher than 20 celsius in there, also i keep an eye on the fermenter temp too and if it starts climbing too high its into a water buffer bath. :blink:

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top