You are not logged in.

US-05 Yeast

• sittingaround
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago #2062 by sittingaround
US-05 Yeast was created by sittingaround
ok im having an issue with the us-05 yeast. Now its the 3rd brew i have done using this yeast and each of them have a very fruity smell and taste to them. 1st was a all grain pale ale, 2nd a all grain amber and 3rd a extract pale ale. all 3 have the same smell and taste. I dont have a fermentation chamber so i cannot regulate my temps but it has been in underground garage with a pretty constant temp of about 22deg. I know that is a little high so could this be reason?

Its really disappointing that every brew so far has almost been un drinkable due to this taste. next brew i will be using the t shirt and water bath trick to see if this will help but at 23lt per batch its a lot of beer to chuck if it doesn't work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
8 years 1 week ago #2063 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic US-05 Yeast
It does sound like its too hot an ambient temp of 22c can mean 25c or more in the fermenter. How long have you let them ferment for? Some times a little longer on the yeast will fix some of it up, at those temps it will ferment out in a couple of days but if you can leave it for about 2-3 weeks sometimes this helps, depending how bad it is. Unfortunately fermentation control really is the most important thing, you can make the best wort in the world but if it ferments wrong its all over. You can maybe try a different yeast, some belgian yeasts ferment well at higher temps but they do produce different flavours from banana to pepper. Maybe ask at your LHBS if they have a better yeast for high temps, US05 is a solid yeast, I'm guessing inside your fermenter is getting very warm! Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sittingaround

More
8 years 1 week ago #2064 by Gash
Table 1. Yeast Strains for High Temperature Fermentations
Here are some yeast strains that can ferment at high temperatures without producing unhealthy amounts of higher alcohols (fusel oils).

White Labs WLP550 (Belgian Ale) — 68–78°F (20–26 °C)
White Labs WLP566 (Belgian Saison II yeast) — 68–78°F (20–26 °C)
White Labs WLP568 (Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend) — 70–80 °F (21–27 °C)
White Labs WLP065 (American Whiskey Yeast) — 75-82 °F (24–28 °C)
White Labs WLP655 (Belgian Sour Mix 1) — 80-85+ °F (27–29 °C)
White Labs WLP665 (Flemish Ale Blend) — 68-80°F (20 –27 °C)
Wyeast 1214 (Belgian Abbey) — 68-78° F (20-24° C)
Wyeast 1388 (Belgian Strong Ale) — 64-80° F (18-27° C)
Wyeast 3724 (Belgian Saison) — 70-95 °F (21-35 ° C)
Wyast 3725 (PC Biere de Garde) — 70-84 °F (21-29 °C)
Wyeast 3763 (Roeselare Ale Blend) — 65-85 °F (18-30 °C)
Wyeast 3787 (Trappist High Gravity) — 64-78 °F (18-25 °C)
Wyeast 3822 (PC Belgian Dark Ale) — 65-80 °F (18-27 °C)
Fermentis Safbrew T-58 — 12-25°C (54-77 °F)
Fermentis Safbrew WB-06 — 12-25°C (54-77 °F)

More
8 years 1 week ago #2065 by Gash
Need to keep your eye out for a fridge! Most get them free or very low cost, gumtree etc

• sittingaround
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #2066 by sittingaround
Replied by sittingaround on topic US-05 Yeast
yeah im waiting to move out of my apartment before buying a fridge.. not much room down stairs!!

the temp strip reads about 22 most of the time. the past 2 brews where left for 2 weeks. this one has been in for almost 3. I just took a grav reading and it was really murky and the reading hasnt changed in about 4 days so its ready to be bottled. if i leave it for another week or so could that help. let the yeast clear up some of the by products a little more?
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by sittingaround.

• sittingaround
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 1 week ago - 8 years 1 week ago #2067 by sittingaround
Replied by sittingaround on topic US-05 Yeast
Cheers for that list Gash i will rummage around the net and see with one will have the right flavor profile i wanted if i cannot bring down my ferm temps
I am just running an experiment at the moment with a water bath and a t shirt over the fermenter with my stc connected so i can check if that helps drop the temp enough. if not i do have enough room for a small diy "Son of fermentation chiller".

this might be my best bet until i have a bigger garage/ shed to move all my brewing gear into.
Last edit: 8 years 1 week ago by sittingaround.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top