You are not logged in.

Lager Yeast

• Finnroo
  • Finnroo's Avatar Topic Author
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #3399 by Finnroo
Lager Yeast was created by Finnroo
Hello everyone, Im about to do my first lager and any advice would be welcome. My plan is to pitch 2 rehydrated packs of yeast at 15deg c. for 2 days then drop it to 10degc for 10 days.Then up to 18 deg c for 2 days. Then down to 3 deg c for 4 weeks. Does this sound like a good plan?
Also i will put a bit of yeast nutient towards the end of the boil and aerate the wort before pitching.
I have a 100g of green bullet any thought on the hop additions i can play with.
Thanks and cheers.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Finnroo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3400 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Lager Yeast
Sounds just about perfect mate, just the first step do the 15 but as soon as you see any activity, usually a 12 hours or a day or so start dropping it down. Its not essential but just in case it wants to take off, keep on top of it. As usual use your heart instead of set times. Cheers Finnroo, good to see ya mate!

• Finnroo
More
5 years 8 months ago #3401 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Lager Yeast
Awesome Gash thanks . I get what your saying, when it wants to take off bring it down. Im getting ready at the moment to brew tomorrow may even do the over night mash. Cheers , really appriciate the help as always. takecare.

• Finnroo
More
5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #3406 by Finnroo
Well the lager is ticking along very well and i dropped the temp down from 15 to 10 on monday night.
its slow and steady and looks very healthy. A thick frothy krausen looks a bit different to a top fermenting krausen which looks a lot more compact and firm. Just a obsevation. So far so good with the lager. cheers.
Im wondering if fermenting appears to have stopped after say 1 week should i just leave it for the full ten days or what. just thinking. Um id probably leave it for 10 days . cheers all it awesome, brew on guys.
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Finnroo.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3410 by Gash
Lager yeast, yep leave it till most of the lager yeast smell is gone from a sample. Cheers mate!

• Finnroo
More
5 years 8 months ago #3430 by Finnroo
So im on day 11 and fermentation is still going but at about a minute between airlock bubbles. Ive got this in a glass carboy so i havnt taken a sample. i could take the stopper off and have a sniff but dont really want to unless its nessasary.
Is the idea behind raising the temp when its finished or to finish it off.?
I looks really good and healthy.
Also, Im planning on lagering it in the primary, taking the air lock off and sealing it with clingfilm around the stopper.
Going very well cheers.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3431 by Gash
Yep I'd raise it, it will help it finish off and at the same time be cleaning up those nasty yeast aromas and flavours! Cheers Finnrooooooo!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

• Finnroo
More
5 years 8 months ago #3432 by Finnroo
Thanks so much for the quick reply, i ll do that now im out there kegging the beast, wee heavy strong. lol cheers

• Finnroo
More
5 years 8 months ago #3461 by Finnroo
so yesterday i put the carboy of lager into the cold fridge at 4deg c. Its going to stay there for 4 weeks no less.I have thought about transfering to secondary but will just leave it i think. After 4 week s i will transfer to keg and condition with co2 for 2 weeks. Getting there cheers.

More
5 years 8 months ago #3464 by Gash
My suggestion would be never secondary after ferment is complete, no matter what the beer, think you made the right choice. Theres is mega info on the net about secondaries, mostly coming from the US and it is wrong, just dont it unless you really need to, lol sounds like a lecture lol but even the US heroes like John Palmer have changed their ways and dont recommend it. anymore. Oxidation is enemy number one. IF you want to move off the yeast when the brew is done, best bet is to package it and lager in the bottle or keg, which really is the best place. Cheers mate!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top