You are not logged in.

First Brew, concerned need advice

More
5 years 7 months ago #3435 by Guvna
First Brew, concerned need advice was created by Guvna
Help! I put down my first attempt 14 days ago based on Gash's Hoppy Pale.
used beersmith to fashion a recipe which estimated OG at 1.049, got temp control set at 18-19 aand first 5 days bubbling away all good,
next after 12 days gravity is 1.019 and i dry hopped, 2 days later still at 1.019. panic seting in.
I thought the Nottingham yeast would have cleaned up by now and finished.
anyway i raised temp to 21.5 and soon aftre started bubbling again? wtf?
Is that the dry hopping or maybe ferment went a bit sleepy?
confused, cheers Guvna

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #3436 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic First Brew, concerned need advice
Ok so your up and running again that s good.That was a good move bumping up the temp like that. I am still having the same problems with my wee heavy using mangrove jacks.
I kept having trouble dropping it down past 1020 and the only way i got it to move was to add another sachet of the same yeast.
After further research i found that that particular yeast is spicificly for stouts and wee heavies and attenuation is not full so to speak. So i thought great no worries ill dump an extra kg of pale malt on my next brew and i did and ended up with an OG of 1072 and i thought great if it ends up at 1020 that will be fine. But guess what, it stopped at 1030 ,id forgotten to check and only checked when putting it into the keg on friday.
So now i have 3 choices, use a different yeast, or pitch another packet after 4 days or start upping the temp after the first day 1 deg at a time until 22deg c. At the end of the day it is what it is and ill soon find a way around it. Good luck cheers, its a great topic , Gash will be able to shine a bit of light on it for us im sure. cheers

More
5 years 7 months ago #3437 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic First Brew, concerned need advice
Nottingham at least for me always finishes a bit high, though you'd expect lower then what you are reading, see how it goes when you take the reading today. Cheers! Let us know

More
5 years 7 months ago #3444 by Guvna
Replied by Guvna on topic First Brew, concerned need advice
So 48hrs have past , gravity is same at 1.019. My hydrometer appears to be a pint or 2 out making it 1.017 at best. Still seeing a little bubbling after warming up couple of days ago to 21.5. What now? beersmith estimated 1.011, still confused at this point
Guvna

More
5 years 7 months ago #3445 by Gash
I would say its probably done, bit weird its still bubbling though, dry hops will cause it to bubble, but usually would of stopped in a couple of days. At the temps you're at it should be done, not sure if you can double check your temps for next time, but if you're at 21c for 2 days and the numbers haven't changed its probably done. Reasons? hmmm Hydro could be out as you said, maybe more than you think. Maybe your mash temps were hotter than you thought. Other than that really need the whole info on your brew day, any water treatment you might of done, etc Cheers

More
5 years 7 months ago #3446 by Guvna
This attachment is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.
This attachment is hidden for guests.

This message has an attachment file.

More
5 years 7 months ago #3447 by Guvna
attached in last post, Thanks for looking Gash

More
5 years 7 months ago #3448 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic First Brew, concerned need advice
I would pitch another packet of the same dry yeast, good luck

More
5 years 7 months ago #3449 by Gash
Theres no real reason it should of stopped high with that recipe, though I still think its done if your temps are accurate, but you can do a quick test if you want to, pour off a cup full (enough to take a reading easily) give the sample a good shake and put it somewhere warm for 24hrs (20-25c). Take a reading, if that reading changes you can stuff around with your brew more if it doesn't then there's nothing else to do except package.

More
5 years 7 months ago #3450 by Guvna
Thanks again Gash, its puzzling and frustrating but oh well, experience at the very least. Like you pointed out, Notty yeast should be able to stil ferment out even if temp controller setup was lower than should be. My hydro appears 1-2 points out in water at 20c. Should i bump it up to 23-25c?
As I am planning to keg is there any danger of too much presure inkeg as in bottles if I package prior to complete finish. was planning on bottling remaining few litre, maybe i should use PET instead of glass to be safe?

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top