You are not logged in.

Liquid yeast

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #3672 by Dave Harry
Liquid yeast was created by Dave Harry
Gday Cellar Dwellers, Gavan and Finnroo.

Haven't been on here for a while, so hope everyone is all good.
Just wondering on people's thoughts on using liquid yeast, instead of say US-05.
I'm buying it from a home brew supplier in Melbourne, getting it sent down to where I am in Warrnambool.

My aim is to try and produce a better beer with the Wyeast liquid product. I brew mainly AG pale ales.

Are I wasting my time, or are the results from say a dry yeast producing a similar result, that maybe spending the extra time and money on the liquid yeast and the starter is not really worth it. I'm interested in peoples opinions and appreciate any response.

Cheers

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 4 months ago #3673 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Liquid yeast
I personally havnt used liquid yeast. So much choice out there its sometimes hard to decide what is best, Youve done yourself a favour by giving it a go, and then youll know if its worth it or not. I always rehydrate my yeast and then harvest it for a couple of generations then start again. I do think i get maybe better results from my harvested yeast.
Controled fermentation temp has really been my biggest break through with my beer. Niceone Dave ,please let us know what you think of your liquid yeast, it should be good. cheers takecare.

More
5 years 4 months ago - 5 years 4 months ago #3675 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Liquid yeast
G'day Dave, I think every brewer at some stage reads or hears that liquid yeast is better and so has a dabble. Personally I don't think there is a difference in final beers. What is different is you'll get a lot more variety in liquid yeasts. Liquid yeast should usually be made into a starter first, which is extra work this can often make people think that the liquid yeast is doing a better job where actually its more likely the higher yeast count and hence better ferment that probably made the beer better. Also 99% of people don't seem to read the instructions on dry yeast and think they know better than the manufacturers on their use..
Use each correctly and you won't be able to tell the difference, no one will.
I used liquid yeasts for a couple of years but have gone back to dry yeast due to lack of time and to save some money, unless I'm after a speciality yeast. I liked the Irish Ale yeast from Wyeast and one of the belgian ones was good I just can't recall right now which it was.
Cheers!
Last edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Gash.

• Dave Harry
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 4 months ago #3684 by Dave Harry
Replied by Dave Harry on topic Liquid yeast
Thanks for the advice Gash, Finnroo

Yeah i have two similar pale ales that are finished beers with exactly the same ingredients, similar numbers for gravity, volumes etc and you can't notice any difference from the liquid yeast, or US05 version.

Now onto brewing a hefeweizen this weekend.
Cheers

Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
5 years 4 months ago #3685 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Liquid yeast
Brilliant Dave, cheers for that. Now i know too, thanks mate takecare

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top