You are not logged in.

Kveik Yeast brewing

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago - 3 years 3 months ago #5179 by BeerRay1986
Kveik Yeast brewing was created by BeerRay1986
g'day brewers

I recently did a farmhouse ale with Voss Kveik yeast I have been very interested to try it after a lot of mixed reviews on it and how quick it can produce a quality beer. The Recipe was as follows:
2.25kg pilsner
2.25kg wheat
0.65kg flaked oats
30g hallertauer hops 60 minutes
lallemand Voss Kveik dried packet
usual water treatment for my water (mash was 5.25)

mashed in at 65c for a hour as usual and after using Gash BS3 profile with the brewzilla I finally hit EVERY number it was perfection (thank you gash again) put it in a cube let it sit till it was at 35c straight into the fermenter, i re-hydrated the yeast earlier and poured it in set fridge to 30 (thats as high as my STC-1000 lets me go.

This is when i had not thought to far ahead......came out to the fermentation fridge the next day and the airlock had been blown into oblivion so i quickly tidied up and used a blow off hose and jug of santitizer. 2 days later its done 1.010 (check it this morning and tonight) no bubbles all over.

so this seems long winded but i thought the back story was necessary. I took a sample tonight its already clearing up big yeast cake at the bottom but it has a "tart" bordering on sour taste? like a cider that has had every bit of sweetness taken out. I do not think its infected as i have tasted that before its just this tart flavour. has anyone else had this when using the kveik yeasts? what flavors have you all had using this? Lallemand says its neutral? i assume its excessive acetaldehyde will this clear up?

any or comments would be great
Ray
Last edit: 3 years 3 months ago by BeerRay1986.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 3 months ago #5181 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Kveik Yeast brewing
Ummm I get more a dirty dusty earth taste, but it does clear up, if you havent moved it yet just leave it a day or two and see if it cleans up a bit. Cheers mate!

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 3 months ago #5184 by BeerRay1986
Replied by BeerRay1986 on topic Kveik Yeast brewing
hey Gash

I left it to settle through the week its cleared right up and most of the bitter/sourness has gone its actually pretty good hahaha will bottle up this weekend while I'm mashing away with another.

Ray

More
3 years 3 months ago #5185 by Gash
Thats good news! Cheers Ray

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #5203 by BeerRay1986
Gday gash

Good news it’s turned out pretty well it’s very dry if I’m honest but it has no funny flavours ect pretty happy and would be happy to try this again on something.

Ray

More
3 years 2 months ago #5204 by Gash
Good stuff mate. Always great when they turn out. Cheers!

• BeerRay1986
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 2 months ago #5205 by BeerRay1986
Hey brewers

I’m a few bottles in to the kviek farmhouse ale and I can say it’s worth a crack if you have not done it before it is very interesting. I wouldn’t say it’s a session type beer but it’s good, it’s super dry and has a earthy type flavour and also this funky yet good smell it’s hard to compare it to something as I’m really not that experienced in brewing.

It would be good to try a different style of beer with the yeast because I think you could be drinking it in a very short time compared to others.

Anyway happy brewing

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top