You are not logged in.

Anniversary Brew

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 6 months ago - 7 years 6 months ago #2218 by MTbottle
Anniversary Brew was created by MTbottle
Hi folks;
The wife and I just celebrated our 50th Anniversary, and you'll never guess what we did ..... We brewed an Oatmeal Stout specifically FOR our anniversary, ON our anniversary. It was a holiday weekend (Labor day here in the US), couldn't get a motel in the big city (225 mile round trip), so we just stayed home and worked together and brewed a special recipe. She doesn't like beer too much and brewing is usually 'my thing' with very little help, but this time we both worked on it because it was our own special beer. I've got an artist designing a label for us, which will be painted and fired onto a couple of bottles for keepsakes, just in case we make it to our 75th (like that's going to happen ......). I got the recipe (and tweaked it a bit) from a book I got from the UK (Durden Park Circle), called "Old British Beers" and we brewed it according to their way of brewing it (3 1/2 hr mash, 90 min boil) and it takes 3 months to mature, so after the primary, secondary, and bottling we won't get a drink of it until about mid/end of December or so :( :(

Whad'ya'think? Was that a stupid idea, or was it a good idea?

We're going to go to the big city this weekend instead of last week, and we'll avoid the crowds and the drunks on the road B)
Last edit: 7 years 6 months ago by MTbottle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
7 years 6 months ago #2219 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Anniversary Brew
Excellent idea! My wife has no interest in the brewing process, although she does drink it..... :D
The following user(s) said Thank You: MTbottle

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
7 years 2 months ago #2284 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic Anniversary Brew
Just thought I'd answer back, since it probably looks like I've ignored you .... I bought a larger solid state hard drive, and transferred everything on to a remote drive. Bad idea, for this computer illiterate! I haven't figured out how to transfer it all back onto the new drive, therefore I lost all of my bookmarks, passwords, etc.. I was just able to log on now because I tried out one of my old passwords that I never use any more, and Viola! it worked!!
Thanks for the comeback ..... my wife is just the opposite - she doesn't mind the 'cooking' part of brewing, she just hates drinking the beer, but that's fine with me, since I have more of the finished product for myself! That may sound selfish, but I figure I'm doing her a favor, by not having to drink that dark, nasty-tasting, foul-smelling, liquid! Works for me, anyway! The artist who was going to design my label flaked out on me, and as an artist I make a really good logger or ditchdigger (I can't draw a straight line, much less figure out how to use a computer app for designing a label), so the label didn't happen. The end result of the beer was great, and I only made a 2 gallon batch, so next time I will be making a 5 gallon batch.

More
7 years 2 months ago #2285 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Anniversary Brew
That's great to hear. Thanks for the reply Sounds like a great recipe! Cheers mate!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top