You are not logged in.

Robobrew pump

• Brodiep
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #2968 by Brodiep
Robobrew pump was created by Brodiep
Hi all,
Just wondering if any one who has a Robobrew with pump has had any issues with the pump. I have only done 8 brews and the pump will not rotate, I have had it in pieces and I can see nothing wrong with it but the magnetic pump impeller section is very tight. I have cleaned it up and reassembled it but no luck, it just will not rotate the impeller. The pump rotating magnet seems to be rotating.

I have run the pump and the motor is rotating but the magnetic impeller is not rotating. Rather than just buy another pump the same size I am looking at the next size up, the old pump did 9/12 lts per minute, the one I am looking at is does 19 l/min and is rated at 1.1kw the old pump is only rated at .6 kw

My major issue is that this is only the start of the issues, the pump has failed, the next thing I assume that will be a problem will be the small control card, it cuts out due to heat. Maybe I will be looking at Craftbeer pi3. That will mean a complete rewire and configuration to a new control system.

If any one has any suggestions I would love to hear them

Regards
Paul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 months ago #2970 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Robobrew pump
G'day mate, would it not still be under warranty? I haven't had any issues with mine the pumps are usually good. Running dry will ruin them, or running during the boil as it will be trying to pump bubbles which is like running dry.
I'm not sure doubling the pumping volume would be a good idea either? I barely every run at full speed only during heating water, chilling and cleaning, during the actual brew I'm usually less half, but everyone does it different.
I wonder why your overheating? Mines never overheated either, if there is something wrong with the panel they will replace that too under warranty. Is there burnt material on the bottom of your robobrew when finished? Are you grinding grain too fine? Do you have the vents covered?
You can always change the controller, though you will lose some of the features and rest cycles etc that are built into the robobrew, with a pi I guess you could try and recreate these.
Sorry for all the questions :) Cheers mate!

• Brodiep
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #2971 by Brodiep
Replied by Brodiep on topic Robobrew pump
Hi Gash, Totally agree with all you have said, just to answer a couple of the questions.
Yes it is still under warranty and I am chasing that avenue but the pump has failed so I would not just put in the same one again. I had it apart and it looks fine with no damage noted but it is flimsy for what it is doing.
I agree with what you are saying about the flow rate but it was just that the pump that the local Home brewer supplier has is 19 l/m and looks a little more robust.
The over heating issue has me stumped and I have opened up the vents with a flat blade of a screw driver and fitted a small fan blowing from inside to outside, it still overheats. Remember that the last brew day up here in QLD was 35Degree C and about 80% humidity.
I am not getting any burnt grain or protein on the base of the RB and it is easy to clean, I have my mill set at 45 tho and have tried several other settings, that seems to work best. I have also dropped my grain load from 6 to 5 kgs, this has made a big difference to brewing day.
Going to the PI controller would be the last option and it would be more of a hobby project than anything else. Anyway I am waiting for Keg King to get back to me and see where I am with this, I hope I have answered all the questions and thanks for the help.
Paul

More
6 years 2 months ago #2972 by Gash
Sounds like you're on top of it! Whats the other pump? the Keg King Mark II by the sounds of it, they are a great pump. Cheers mate!

• Brodiep
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 months ago #2977 by Brodiep
Replied by Brodiep on topic Robobrew pump
Hi Gash, I rang Keg King and they sent a new pump which I fitted today. Good service from Keg King.

I am not sure what caused the problem but it was the pump magnetic head that is not working, the pump motor is ok electrically.
Any way now to do a Pale Ale

Regards
Paul

More
6 years 2 months ago #2978 by Gash
Thats great news Paul! Cheers mate!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top