You are not logged in.

Fading Hop Aroma/Flavour

• lchang
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #3503 by lchang
Fading Hop Aroma/Flavour was created by lchang
So how long does everyone else’s Hop aroma stick around for? Bottled and lost Hop flavour after 1 week. Very very sad.

Any tips/tricks?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 7 months ago #3504 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Fading Hop Aroma/Flavour
First off dont be sad, it is what it is. I havnt brewed a hoppy beer for over a year but i remember having no trouble with maintaining hop flavour etc. So i guess the question is ,how old were your hops and how did you store them and what hop additions and how much and what type did you use.?
cheers , its a great topic.

• lchang
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #3505 by lchang
Replied by lchang on topic Fading Hop Aroma/Flavour
Hey mate. Not really sure how old the hops are to be honest. However old they are from the local brew store so I’m guessing from last years harvest. I store them in a freezer, yet to get a vacuum sealer though. And most Hop additions are late, like 15 and 10min 20 and w, and 30 dry. Was all Galaxy Hop.

More
5 years 7 months ago #3506 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Fading Hop Aroma/Flavour
Hello again, im sorry i dont know, all sound good but i cant say. Im only guessing here but maybe the hops were past their best for some reason.
I googled Galaxy hops and they should be awesome so i dont know. Gash or someone may shed some light on the subject. Cheers and good luck.

More
5 years 7 months ago - 5 years 7 months ago #3507 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Fading Hop Aroma/Flavour
Big dry hops help Im talking at least 3g/L at the moment I use about 5g/L and a big Whirlpool or Last 5mins addition as well. Though what can really change things and ruin a hoppy beer in no time is oxygen, for hoppy beers I'd avoid using a bottling bucket and cut any splashing to a minimum. Don't be shaking bottles when you put sugar in or anything like that. If you bottle in PET squeeze the air out when you put the lid on. Oxygen enemy #1 for all beers but especially hoppy beers. With hoppy beers if it tastes just right at bottling you probably havent added enough because its going to lose some in the bottle ferment and storage. Use at least one PET bottle even if you use glass so you know when they are carbed and you can put them all in cold storage heat another enemy.
If you're serious about hops watch out for the new fermentasaurus thats coming out, new better design for easier dry hopping, you can ferment under pressure, beer will be carbed by the end of ferment and you can enclose transfer to a keg ot easy use of a bottling gun.
Speaking of bottling guns even though youre bottling in a perfect situation you'd be flushing the bottles with CO2 before filling, but by the time you get those things you'd probably move on to kegs..
Cheers!
Last edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Gash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

• lchang
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 7 months ago #3512 by lchang
Replied by lchang on topic Fading Hop Aroma/Flavour
Thanks Gash!

Great advice, I’ll go next level on my dry hop then. And good idea about using at least 1 PET bottle, I’ll definitely give that a go.

Hopefully I won’t have to for too long. Kegs are calling to me.

Cheers.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top