You are not logged in.

Dry Hopping Tips from a Pro

• RAD
  • RAD's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 years 5 months ago - 6 years 5 months ago #2710 by RAD
Dry Hopping Tips from a Pro was created by RAD
ht Dry hoppingtps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JY0Be3pZQU
Epic brewing in New Zealand would have to be my favorite brewery, why? I hear you ask because they make very tasty big hoppy beers and if you have had one of their beers you will know what exactly what I talking about if not find a bottle of Armaggeddon IPA or Hop Zombie Double IPA..

So I thought I would share a video from Luke who is the head brewer with his tips for dry hopping.

Cheers
Rob
Last edit: 6 years 5 months ago by RAD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 5 months ago #2712 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Dry Hopping Tips from a Pro
Cheers Rad!

• RAD
More
6 years 5 months ago #2713 by RAD
Replied by RAD on topic Dry Hopping Tips from a Pro
Anytime mate, I had a couple beers with Luke from Epic last weekend here in Brissie and the bloke is a legend and very willing to share info he certainly opened my eyes to how to make hoppy beers I just need to buy my hops in kilo lots for a brew.

More
6 years 5 months ago #2715 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Dry Hopping Tips from a Pro
Perfect timing as I m dry hopping my NEIPA today and wondering the best way to go. I was going to put the left over Riwaka hops at about 40 to 50gs .,however after watching that video I think I will add all the left over hops from that brew. Thats Riwaka, Kohatu,and Moutere. that in total will be I think close to 10g per Litre. I can t believe it, 10g per litre. Oh well here goes nothing ,wish me luck. TEN GRAMS PER LITRE!!! bLOODY hELL.....

• RAD
More
6 years 5 months ago #2717 by RAD
What is not mentioned in the Video is that their dry hopping is done over 10 days by splitting the required amount of dry hop in half with the first dry hop done for 5 days @ fermentation temp and then the 2nd done for 5 days @ cold crash temp. The reason for the 2nd lot being done at cold crash temp is so you can dry hop longer with out getting the grassy flavors from the hops.
Cheers
Rad
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
6 years 5 months ago #2718 by Finnroo
Well thats the way the cookie crumbles.Haha. All good I dumped the whole lot in and we ll see what happens. Next time you see that brewer give him a thick ear from me . Cheers, out there brewing it.

More
6 years 5 months ago #2719 by Finnroo

More
6 years 5 months ago #2725 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Dry Hopping Tips from a Pro
I've always said with NZ beers if you buy a pale ale expect an IPA, if you buy an IPA expect an IIPA, that probably explains why! I don't mean that its bad thing either!

Most of my pales will be at least 3g per litre dry hop usually somewhere between 3 and 4. I was sent the recipe of Panheads Supercharger from the brewer a few years ago and they used 4g/Litre and a recipe I was given again from the brewer at Brewcult for Hopzone and it was 3g per litre whirlpool and 3g/l dry hop. So its not really surprising that Epic use that much! Although geez 15g/l sounds excessive and very expensive, you'd lose a lot of beer with it too, but bet the beer is good :) !

Dry hopping cold isn't as effective either, I wonder if they circulate any wort while doing that? That would get things going, in that study I posted here a while back circulating wort is very effective but hard to do at home without oxidising, but not impossible. Thats study showed about 3 days is enough or just a couple of hours if circulated. 15g per Litre twice, I'd have to siphon off the top, I reckon that amount of hops would cover the back of the tap/spigot once settled easily! :)

Epic beers are great , thanks for that!

• RAD
More
6 years 5 months ago #2735 by RAD
Gash,
I have had a look at the Epic Pale ale clone that I have and for a 22L (6 gallon batch) the dry hop amount of 115g is divided in 2 so it ends up being 57g for 5 days @ ferm temp of 18-19 degrees C and then 57g @ cold crash temp.
Referring back to the clone recipe the total hop amount works out to be 254g or 8.9oz so I guess for an IPA you would be looking at 510g or 17.6oz but that's if you use the same hop schedule as the Pale Ale eg Boil, Whirlpool and Dry Hop.
I am just going to have to buy my hops in 1kg lots
Cheers
Rob

More
6 years 5 months ago #2737 by Johno
Replied by Johno on topic Dry Hopping Tips from a Pro
or you could do a hop tea with a coffee plunger leaving most of the vegetation behind. Inject it back in after yeast dump if you have a conical fermenter ? No blockages then & oils & heat rise up through the beer column

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top