You are not logged in.

Coopers NEIPA

More
3 years 11 months ago #4566 by Madiman
Replied by Madiman on topic Coopers NEIPA
Hi Mate - Im about to do the same brew, and have the same questions. Difficult to change bitterness now I believe, so Im asking Gash which hops add the bitterness. Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 11 months ago #4567 by Serindipaty
Replied by Serindipaty on topic Coopers NEIPA
Hi Tim

The higher alpha acids lead to bitterness during the boil. I found www.hopslist.com/ a handy resource for looking at hops stats. However I don't believe much bitterness is added during dry hopping.
Unless you get chunks of hop debris in there.

My hops actually had their alpha acids content listed on their label but if not then that website is a good guide.

My batch is likely to be a bit butter but I guess I'll just suck it and see. From what I've read if it's too bitter (undrinkable) it can be blended with another batch, aged longer or possible to add lactose to curb the bitterness.

At the end of the day it'll still be beer and just learn for the next batch. I'm also only one batch in. So I could be wrong in which case Gash can correct me.

Cheers

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 11 months ago #4568 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers NEIPA
JayG depends, you could do the steep at a lower temp, as in add more cold water after the boil before adding the hops. Another thing with the bitterness is sometimes, if you have really fresh hops you can get a bit of hop burn at the start and it may settle down in few days or a week, also can get a little bit of hop matter that settles to the bottom of the keg, eventually that will be gone too.

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 11 months ago #4570 by Gash
Madiman There are no bittering hops in this recipe :) I know that sounds weird, you do get some bitterness from the steep after the boil, but if you want to make really sure of that, drop the boiled wort, by chiller or adding cold water down below 80c. Add the hops and give a good stir and do the steep there.
Hops need to be boiled or at least steeped over 80c to give true beer bitterness.
BUT lol big BUT
if as I described to JayG you get hop matter, it can be very fine, like pollen, settle out in the keg then that can tastes very bitter, theres npthing you can do about that except maybe cold crash well and be careful on transfer not to pick up too much junk.

There will always be the bitterness of the tin, thats why I started with a very low bitter tin. Cheers!

More
3 years 11 months ago #4571 by Madiman
Cheers Mate - Great Site - hoplist, now i'm learning something.
Thanks a lot. Tim

More
3 years 11 months ago #4572 by Madiman
Thanks Gash, Great site, great ideas, great Help. 10 out of 10 Gash.
Appreciate your fast replies and help on my questioning. Now I understand what's to be done. Brewing next week, I'll let you know how it turns out.
Cheers.
Tim

More
3 years 11 months ago #4573 by Madiman
Hi Gash - Re this NEIPA, would you use a Yeast nutrient with the Safale us05. also should I use a flock tablet at the boil.

Tim

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 11 months ago #4574 by Gash
Yeast nutrient wont hurt at all, use it if you got it. Whirlfloc probably isnt needed here if it was in a proper boil kettle and you could drain it and leave some behind I'd use it for sure, but all this is going into the fermenter and we arent after a clear beer, so I would worry too much about it mate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Madiman

More
3 years 11 months ago #4575 by Serindipaty
Replied by Serindipaty on topic Coopers NEIPA
Well, first brew done and dusted.
Thanks for the help Finroo and Gash
Finished product:

pasteboard.co/J9Iii1HI.jpg

Turned out a cloudier than intended, however this was due to be expected with my fumbling. I think a fair portion of my trub is actually in my bottles. However it's all good and tastes quite nice and is better than a 3.5% lager that I had in the kit. I wouldn't say I rival the store bought NEIPAs. It's given me the inspiration to try some more methods and research more. Ended up with just shy of 22 longnecks.

Definitely more citrus on the nose than on the palate, decent mouthfeel. Not that hoppy, I didn't manage to follow as desired, but still ended up with a drinkable beer. Definitely keen to get on the learning curve, bring in some water chemistry etc to try and get the hops to shine a bit more and just hone the basics before I start focussing on the science too much.

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #4576 by Gash
Wow its very dark! Could be a combination of the old tin, but since there isnt much hop there its very possible its been oxidised.
Hard to do an neipa in glass bottles.
Its supposed to be cloudy, Im not sure if you think its too cloudy?
Good learning experience!
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Gash.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top