You are not logged in.

Coopers NEIPA

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 10 months ago #4661 by Gash

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 10 months ago #4662 by Madiman
Replied by Madiman on topic Coopers NEIPA
Sunday - Nice activity with the Foamed head , so added the first dry hop. Citra 12g - Pacifica 12g, , Centennial 20g, and Galaxy 40g. Just what I had left , I have 20g of Galaxy left for the end dry hop.

Tim

More
3 years 10 months ago #4680 by Madiman
Replied by Madiman on topic Coopers choc vanilla stout.
Hi Gash, Thanks for posting the - Recipe and full description on the Choc Vanilla Stout.
Question. Why cold steep in fridge over night.
Why not a short 65 deg C mash .
What would be the difference on a hot method, Sorry mate just curious.
Tim

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 10 months ago - 3 years 10 months ago #4683 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers choc vanilla stout.
Cold steep is a more mellow taste, not so tannic or astringent, but still gives flavour and colour.
You could do it hot , no worries, 20mins.
Just for your information incase you arent aware these roasted grains have hell and life roasted out of them, so I guess technically even if you try and do an accurate mash temp, its not mashing, its still just steeping, everything in the grain is dead. So it wont hurt, but you're kind of wasting your time unless you plan to mash it with other grains that will mash, like a base grain.
If I was to steep it hot just chuck it in a saucepan, boil the jug and give it a couple of minutes after its stopped boiling and pour some in, give it a stir and just let it sit for 20mins, dont be heating it up again or anything, strain then boil. Cheers!
Last edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Gash. Reason: spelling

More
3 years 10 months ago #4684 by Madiman
Thanks Gash, That was an interesting answer, and appreciated mate, thanks. Tim

More
3 years 9 months ago #4702 by Madiman
Replied by Madiman on topic Coopers NEIPA
Hi Guys, Finnroo,
Well the NEIPA turned out not bad, a little too bitter for my taste, but my mates love it. Tim

More
3 years 9 months ago #4703 by Madiman
Hi Gash, I used US 05 yeast for my Vanilla Stout, is that ok. Just doesn't seem to be as lively as other brews.

I quick question - The 200g of choc malt grain - when bought was a / burnt taste, heavy roasted, is that correct ? - I expected sweet choc flavours, but does Chocolate malt refer to the colour. ? Tim

More
3 years 9 months ago - 3 years 9 months ago #4704 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Coopers NEIPA
Great stuff Tim, so now you have a starting point in which to refer back to and adjust the hop additions etc to your taste . As far as your chocolate grain go, they roast them after malting so are kind of burning them ,or kilning them so they probably will taste burnt when chewed. They will add a chocolate taste to your brew. There is a malt called black and black patient. Now that malt is really burnt and harsh and should be used very sparingly .byo.com/article/back-in-black-the-truth-...t-black-patent-malt/
I wouldnt like to think your suppler made a mistake and gave you that . So don't go there. Time to jump in once again and brew it. Top man.
Lastly I us us-05 for most of my brews Pale or Dark. A very reliable work horse of a yeast , very clean and thorough. Get to know it. Its your friend lol.Cheers mate.
Last edit: 3 years 9 months ago by Finnroo.

More
3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #5084 by ijwhiting
Replied by ijwhiting on topic Coopers NEIPA
Hi Gash, Finnroo

I am fairly new to brewing and followed the recipe and video exactly. It turned out bloody awesome. Easily the best beer I’ve ever made.

I’d like to try and add a blood orange flavour to this for my next batch, any tips on the best way to go about this?

Thanks
ij
Last edit: 3 years 5 months ago by ijwhiting.

• Gash
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 5 months ago #5085 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Coopers NEIPA
I made a blood orange ipa once, well red grapefruit I think it was, not sure thats the same thing? I just used the rind, umm was about 3 I think, I soaked it in a bit of vodka for about a week, to sanitise and help get the flavour out of the rind, I added the whole lot at the end of the ferment. It wont add colour or anything but it adds flavour.
Theres many different ways some people add fruit pulp, some will freeze it to break the cell walls and some think it kills wild yeasts, but most yeasts will survive freezing. Others might pasteurise it buy heating to mid 80s for 10mins , let it cool then add it.
Cheers!

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top