You are not logged in.

Could this possibly work??

More
9 years 6 months ago #1513 by Nifty
Could this possibly work?? was created by Nifty
Hi guys.
Was bored and got thinking……usually a recipe for disaster.
I have a 20l square container spare so drilled a hole in its lid for an airlock (1/2" hole to suit grommet). Went out and bought the cheapest can I could find (Tooheys classic blonde dry lager) Followed the recipe instructions with some tweeks. I didn't add ANY sugars except 50ml Maple Syrup. I added water to a total of 15l and pitched the yeast at 30C (they say 18-28C).
It fired up nicely after 1 1/2 hours and has been going steadily ever since sitting around the 20C mark. My start SG was 1030 but i have my doubts. I would think it would be higher than this due to only 2/3 water content.
I guess all I'm looking for is comments. Was it simply a stupid thing to do or do I have a chance here??
Thanks guys. All comments are appreciated, good or bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 6 months ago #1514 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Could this possibly work??
It'll work, will just be a little low in alcohol!

More
9 years 6 months ago #1515 by Tonyj
Replied by Tonyj on topic Could this possibly work??
I've never tried any Tooheys cans, but it looks as though (if the can is pre-hopped) it will be a touch over 50% more bitter and flavoursome than they intended it (as it should be made to 23 litres). I wouldn't be surprised if 1.030 was right for the SG though.

More
9 years 6 months ago #1516 by Nifty
Replied by Nifty on topic Could this possibly work??
Didn't think of it that way. I figured that seeing as its a cheap kit then it would be lacking flavour in the first place so should be just right with 2/3 water. Same goes for the alcohol content being low without any sugar. Not a problem either way. It was meant to push my boundaries a bit.

Thanks for the comments.

More
9 years 6 months ago #1518 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Could this possibly work??
the proof will be in the pudding, the beer pudding.

More
9 years 4 months ago #1556 by Nifty
Replied by Nifty on topic Could this possibly work??
Just an update. It started off tasting really good when I first tried it but has faded a bit since then. It has a funny aftertaste which I suspect is the Maple syrup. Something I don't like at the best of times. It's still quite drinkable so I'm happy and willing to give it another try down the track with some tweeks.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top