You are not logged in.

new to kegging and having some real issues

• Stevec71
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #1772 by Stevec71
g'day All,

I am having some real issues with carbinating the beer. The first keg we made I think is over carbed. its basically a glass of white foam, but the beer is flat which I am assuming is due to all the gas going into foam and expelling from the beer.

The second keg we have tried the 30psi for 2 days in fridge, pours like a champ but flat. I have layed it on its side and rocked as per the youtube clips. released the pressure and dropped the reg to 16psi. it is still flat.

could it be that the beer has fouled? it tastes ok but just flat.

we have the magrove jack kegerator system with the same kegs in clips shown.

I could really do with some help please as it is getting frustrating what to do with it.

Also in the clips it talks about some spray but I cant pick up the name of the stuff, could someone please advise the name.

thanks everyone in advance for any advise.

Danno

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #1773 by Gash
G'day mate, yep beer is often flat when it gets poured with a lot head as you suggest. I'd turn off the gas to that keg, release some pressure and leave it for a while, a gentle rock may speed the process. Might have to be done a few times.

Strange the second keg pours like a champ but is flat.

What length are your beer lines? Are the beers flat in the mouth feel or you just cant see bubbles in the glass? Usually only see bubbles in the glass on the first pour.

What type of beer is it? and what alc%?

Is it hot where you live and do you have a font chiller?

Many variables unfortunately but if we can narrow it down we might find your issue :) Cheers!

• Stevec71
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #1774 by Stevec71
Replied by Stevec71 on topic new to kegging and having some real issues
thanks for the reply Gash,

ok the beer lines are stock length with what ever they came with approx 3m length i guess. I coiled them up like you have in your vids.

as for the bubbles, to me the first one is passable but the second have little to no bubbles through out the glass and tastes flat in the mouth to me. We are used to home brew from a bottle so I guess we are used to a high carb level which I like.

the type of beer is just a coopers lager around mid strength. I live in QLD south east corner, we have a kegerator system looks exactly like the one you have in your vids.

hope that helps explain what we have. I think I may have forgot to burp the kegs when first we tried to carbinate would that effect the beer?

Ok looks like after testing the second keg she is now working well, the first glass has heaps of bubbles in it the second is carbonated but not many visible bubbles but tastes so much better. Will keep you informed

thanks again
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Stevec71. Reason: Change in beer state

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #1775 by Gash
Cool, sounds like it might be getting there! I find if you use a clean glass (cleaned without soap residue etc) you'll see the bubbles but if you continue using the same glass the bubbles don't seem to form on the glass like they do the first time too.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #1776 by Gash
Yep forgetting to burp will cause the beer foam.

• Stevec71
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #1782 by Stevec71
Well the plot does thickens. (sorry for late reply super busy with work).
difference with this keg is I did as a mate at work suggested. he gases his on 40 PSI for 2 days and that is it. turns it down and its good to go.

the 2nd keg ( did the method you use in your Vid Gash) works a treat comes out perfect, great taste good gas level.

we have made another beer and put it in the original keg (keg 1) we had some issues with. Its doing exactly the same thing again as it did the first one we made. Its all foam again. Once the foam settles the beer tastes good with gas in it etc.

now what I have noticed compared to keg 2, is I can see gas moving from the keg up through the beer line to the tap. the keg 2 doesn't do this at all. Basically the beer line on the foam keg (keg 1) is full of gas or bubbles. Another thing I have noticed is that the tap for keg 1 starts to leak or make a sound like gas is leaking when I hook keg 1 up to the CO2. I just have to wriggle the tap and it stops. could this be causing the issues?

as I have read someone that not enough back pressure from the keg can cause excessive foam to appear.

sorry for the wall of text.

thanks in advanced to any help you can offer.

EDIT: Looks like it might be an oring in the keg that is not working correctly.
will replace tonight here's hoping
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Stevec71.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
8 years 9 months ago #1783 by Gash
It is possible you have a small leak or near leak in the disconnect that could be getting bubbles in the line, but you will also get bubbles in the line when the keg pressure is different to the co2 regulator pressure, one reason you have to be careful leaving a bottle at 40psi for to long, but same can happen with my method too. If you find you dont have a leak then thats what I'd say it would be. It can be a real pain.

Next time the keg is empty also check that there is enough clearance between the bottom of the keg and the pick up tube.

I think maybe keg #1 is over carbed (if its not a leak issue) try purging again, might take a few times, every 12 hours or so.

• Stevec71
  • Topic Author
More
8 years 9 months ago #1784 by Stevec71
thanks again mate. will let you know how it goes

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top