You are not logged in.

couple questions

• ECbrew
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #3077 by ECbrew
couple questions was created by ECbrew
just did up a brew 5 days ago with an extract can. steeping some grains, then adding dme instead of dextrose and some maltodextrin on a verrrrry light boil: turned off the heat let simmer and then dissolved the can of extract in the warm sticky deliciousness. topped to 23 and pitched us-05 ale yeast instead of ol kit yeast... now in my last regular brews ( just the kit and kilo) i've noticed the krausen had started to go away after about 3 days-5 days..... I just checked on the brew i did with the dme and grains with maltodx; and after 5 days, the krausen is still very high... so my questions are: would this be because of my newer recents steps ive taken? to warm possibly?? does this just mean its gonna be awesome? haha or is it still all to early to tell???..... and what should I expect come bottling day??... with the very high krausen fermentation should I expect bottle bombs?? should I still prime before bottling?? ive heard that bottling without priming will work but take longer? is this crazzy talk orrr???? hahaha thanks guys and thoughts and comments are welcome B) B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 1 month ago #3079 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic couple questions
What temp are you fermenting at? US-05 can take longer then the kit yeasts but the results are usually much better. Krausen level wont effect your bottling and I wouldnt advise bottling beer without carbing. Everything sounds ok so far my beers with us05 take about 10days, Krausen usually drops around 7 though.

• ECbrew
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #3082 by ECbrew
Replied by ECbrew on topic couple questions
i dont have anything to control the temp to a tee right now but im figuring around 20-22?

'nother question ive had in mind; ive had bottles feel rock hard from carb (i use the plastic ones) and have noticed on quite a few, after i put them in the fridge and take them out they dont seem carbed at all? my last bottle of my last brew was about a month old and still seemed to loose pressure while chilling,, checked the capp before opening and it was tight.

More
6 years 1 month ago #3083 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic couple questions
At those temps it should be done soon, 22 is fairly hot for US05 though, but it'll be done very soon.
Weird about the bottles I've never heard that. are the bottles are soft or hard from the fridge? Are you using new lids?

• ECbrew
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #3084 by ECbrew
I let them set for about 3 weeks in the bottle before i put a few in the fridge.. some of them couldnt ask for much better brew for just a can kit.. but others would loose carb after a few hours in the fridge and be semi squishy again with no pop when you break the seal and very little or no head at all. my last bottle of that batch i think was damn near 2 months old since bottled...maybe not waiting long enough for the priming mixing to get all the way through the beer upon bottling.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by ECbrew.

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #3085 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic couple questions
Good questions, Ive been there. The first question about the Krausen drop, I had a SMaSh beer a couple of years back and it didnt drop ,it just floated on the top. I rang around the homebrew shops and no one could give me an answer . But one guy said wait till its really finished fermenting like 2 weeks and then rack to a bottling bucket then bottle. So thats what I did and it was a great beer. And to this day I still dont know why. But it was SO5 yeast and it was maris otter pale and cascade hops.
Yeast does some weird shit sometimes, and as much as we think we know whats going on we probably dont.
Next question about the bottles, I used to bottle years ago in old lemonaide bottles and never had any problems. If you are putting the right amount of sugar or carbo drops in each bottle should be fine. Now I say this with the greatest respect as a fellow brewer. Often when we bottle or brew we like to have a couple of shandies, and its easy to miss a few bottles when adding the drops or sugar if you know what i mean and I bet you do. lol. Some bottle infection maybe but would tend to have the opposite effect. I will sling that question to my local brewer next week and see what he says.Maybe throw away the bad bottles as they may be past their best and not holding pressure anymore, yeah that would be my guess. Good luck and let us know how you go. Cheers. Also 3 weeks is more than enough time. But now ,having said that I can remember a time when I had my brews on different shelves in a fermenting chamber i had built with the thermoostate at the top and some beers at the bottom. The beers at the bottom were carbonating at about 11 deg and never really carbonated but the ones further up did at around sort of 19 deg.
And that has just been a marathon of typingLOL, cheers mate. Are you storing some bottles at differnt temps.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Finnroo.

• ECbrew
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #3087 by ECbrew
so should i add a bit of straight priming sugar directly to the bottle instead of mixing the solution and adding it to my fermentor and waiting 15 minutes to get down through the beer? or should i try the carb drops ? ... the last brew i bottled, I mixed the priming solution and poured it in the carboy...i paid attention as to which beers i bottled first and which ones came from the bottom half of the carboy and it was as if the bottom half were the ones that didnt wanna carb. which is why i thought maybe the solution isnt going through all the beer before i bottle.. you guys are awesome, super helpful

More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #3088 by Finnroo
At this point I would say yes to carbonating by using priming sugar or carb drops to each bottle instead of batch priming straight into the fermenting bucket. Then make sure your bottles are around 18 to 22deg for around 2 weeks, Then make sure you chill for at least 3 days and should be good to go.
Batch priming by adding to the fermenting bucket I wouldnt recommend but if you want to batch prime then get yourself a bottling bucket and rack your beer into that and at the same time gentle pour your sugar mix into it and it should mix up well. Then bottle.
Things like this go on all the time and its a great topic so thanks for posting mate.
So next bottling day use carbo drop and see how you go.Then you know where you are. cheers
Let us know how you get on. Anyway hope this is helpful i have to get back out to the shed ,half way through my boil, ITS AWESOME cheers.

Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Finnroo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ECbrew

• ECbrew
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 1 month ago #3089 by ECbrew
alright its day 10 on the brew with the us-05. still a skim of krausen on the top. take a reading and see if its ready to bottle or is that an obvious 'no go' for 05? ... this is my first time using anything other than the ol kit yeast . so used some grains and malto dex as well so i really dont know what to expect compared to kit and kilo

More
6 years 1 month ago #3090 by Finnroo
Take 2 readings one day after the other if your not sure and if they are the same then I think youll be good to go bottle. Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Cheers.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top