You are not logged in.

2nd Brew on the RB V3 and my numbers went south!

• aussiecoops
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3574 by aussiecoops
Hey Gash

I hope this finds you well! I downloaded your equipment and mash profiles and decided to do some 5 KG SMaSH recipes, the first was a ripper lost a couple of points at the FG was 1052 and I was stoked!

Yesterday I did a Mosaic Smash 5kg of Low Colour Floor Malted Marris Otter (thomas fawacett)
I took a preboil refract reading and it came out at 1033! should have been around the 1045 ish mark, I didn't think much of it as its a new refractometer and put it down to calibration.

So I pushed on and finished it and the post boil hydro reading (at pitching temp) was 1040! So I'm little disappointed with the outcome. I didn't change the method I used your medium body mash same as before,
the sparge was alot quicker around 10mins instead of the 20-25min on my first beer.

sorry for the long speel can you please point to the areas I need to look at remedy this, I was thinking the crush was too course but dont know!

Cheers Rob
ps a massive thank you for all your vids I can't tell you how valuable they have been and given me
the confidence to go all grain!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 6 months ago #3575 by Gash
Gday mate, thanks for watching my vids!. ummm I would guess at the crush, or maybe how well it was mixed in the mash. though It could be one or more of many things.. I havent used that malt myself but on a quick read it should be fine. Its hard to tell, if the issue starts repeating then we'll have to look a bit harder. Guessing you used the same water etc that you did the first time? Did you add salts or anything?
Might be a good idea to do some quick iodine tests just to make sure the mash is finished, normally 30mins is enough but if something is a little off it might take up to 90mins. Not sure if you saw how I did a quick test in the Tafelbeir video. Cheers!

More
5 years 6 months ago #3577 by Finnroo
Yes that is dissapointingly low. So i dont use a system like you guys have ,mine is old school. This may or may not be relevant with your system. I always make sure my mash is well stirred in with no doe balls or clumps, that my mash temp is correct(ish) After mash time( and as Gash said an iodine test or leave a bit longer.) i really stir again thoughly and make sure i mash out ( bring mash temp up) to 73 to 75 degc and leave to settle for ten minutes before starting my sparge process. You say sparge time was 10 minutes which i think is way too quick, if you got a good result last time at 30 minutes i would aim at going back to that . My system sparge time is about an hour. Hopefully you can pick a few pieces out of this that may help. Good luck with your next brew. cheers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aussiecoops

• aussiecoops
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3578 by aussiecoops
Replied by aussiecoops on topic 2nd Brew on the RB V3 and my numbers went south!
thanks for your replay mate, water was the same no salts. I'll focus on the crush and the mash side of things, I have seen your Tafelbeir vid and that was the first thing I said to myself was I wish I had some bloody iodine! haha its now on the list! I assumed after 75mins It would be ok. If say it was a particularly fast sparge would you draw a jugs of first runnings from the tap and put it through the top?

More
5 years 6 months ago #3581 by Gash
My last few sparges have been very fast but I havent found much difference in the end. It can be a problem is certain situations and different set ups, My last halfa dozen have had great flow through the grain bed, so sparge is going to be fast, in the robobrew/grainfather type setup there is no real way to slow it down easily, and I havent found a need too, I think its more important in esky type setups with manifolds or bazooka screens where the grain bed needs to channel wort into certain areas, rather than like in robobrew the whole bottom is a screen. Slow sparge is usually done to prevent a blockage, stuck sparge. it helps to stop the grain bed compressing down onto the manifold and blocking it and also to prevent channeling in the grainbed;
So it really comes down to why you had a fast sparge, if you had channeling that would be a problem because you're not rinsing the grain, the sparge water is just passing through. Or if in some freak moment somehow most went down the middle tube. Again hard to tell from one time. So a quick stir if possible before mash out, or even half way through the mash can help to prevent channeling and also makes sure everything is mixed in, one option to try without really knowing what the cause was.
Sorry for the delay in replies, school holidays and the kids are driving me crazy hahaha Cheers

More
5 years 6 months ago #3582 by Gash
I guess making sure when you sparge that you just dont pour into the same area all the time would help as well.
What also can happen if the grain has a lot of dust in it, the dust through all the recircing settles on top of the bed and can become like a barrier, so another advantage of a quick stir to break it up, but usually you dont get a fast sparge from that, unless the water finds an easy channel down the side of the grain bed or something.

• aussiecoops
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 6 months ago #3583 by aussiecoops
Replied by aussiecoops on topic 2nd Brew on the RB V3 and my numbers went south!
thanks mate I'll look at all these tips on the next brew cheers! I know your pain mate I have six running rampant! haha!

More
5 years 2 months ago #3838 by Ballabrew
Replied by Ballabrew on topic 2nd Brew on the RB V3 and my numbers went south!
If it helps I have been struggling with efficiency. When I properly inspected my crushed grain I found that my crusher is inconsistent. It has a wobble in one of the rollers which I kind of knew about without thinking about the consequences. With the gap constantly changing a number of grains were slipping through. I also like to try a range of malts, I have just worked out that each batch is a slightly different size and level of consistency you need to adjust the mill every time if you change malts.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top