You are not logged in.

Saccharification

• Will2233
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3726 by Will2233
Saccharification was created by Will2233
Hi,
New to brewing and was a good boy and received a Robobrew for Christmas.
I have brewed a Dr Smurto's Golden Ale where I mashed in and left it for an hour.
All went well (I think).
I have Gash's Brewing profile and Mash profile for the Robobrew but I am really confused by the term "Saccharification".
Can some one shed some light on what it means? Also the step time.
Thanks in advance.
William

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #3727 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Saccharification
saccharification, literally “to make into sugar,” the conversion, by enzymes, of starches into sugars and dextrins during the mashing process. Saccharification of cereal starches into fermentable sugars and unfermentable dextrins creates the basis of the wort, a sugary solution that is later fermented into beer.
Hope this helps, brewing can be very complex but basically what happens when you mash ,so get your mash temp right 62degc to 68 degc you get a good fermentable convertion and your away laughing.
A very important part of the process so stay within those guide lines and your brew will ferment out fine. Later on when you get used to the process you can start to work within those guide lines to refine the out come of your brew. There is a lot to learn so dont try and learn it all on your first brew. Steep time is some thing i dont bother with and i thibk it has to do with addition of hops after flame out and whirl pool etc.Cheers mate great question. cheers takecare
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Finnroo. Reason: Additional info.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3728 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Saccharification
Yep, Saccharification is the mash time. The steps in the mash time if that's what you mean is

First is the build up to mash temp (ramp) then the first step would be the Saccharification step usually 60mins-ish, next you ramp up the temperature to Mash out temps 76c-ish thats your next step.
There can be more steps in certain recipes for different things.
If you meant steep, I'm guessing you're talking about hops? That would be done when you turn the elements off, throw some hops in and let it sit for a while.
Cheers!
Attachments:

• Will2233
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3729 by Will2233
Replied by Will2233 on topic Saccharification
Thanks for your reply Finnroo,
I sort of got an idea that was what was required.
Like most things I undertake I blunder through.
I will have to do a few similar brews to get the process down pat, I dont think since I started to dabble in the dark art of all grain I haven't done the same process twice.
The Robbobrew should help with consistency as I move forward.
William

• Will2233
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3730 by Will2233
G'day Gash,
Thanks for replying.
Just trying to get my head around this, so apologies for going over the problem again.
The Saccharification in your RB mash profile says to add x amount of water to step temp. of 69.2 C (is this strike temp ?) then step temp of 65 C (is this mash temp?)
I think I have a understanding of the mash out , but what is more important mash out temp or time at that temperature?
The confusing part to me is the Step time, first one is at 75 minutes, and the second at 10 minutes.
I'm reading this to mean 15 minutes ramp time to 69.2 C then mash at 65 C for an hour and raising the temp. again over 7 mins. to 75.6 C for mash for 10 mins.
Sorry about giving you a head ache that not is from one of your brews and for rambling a bit.
William

More
5 years 3 months ago #3731 by Gash
70c or 69.2 would be strike temp, just the temp of the water in your robo before you add the grain, make sure you have stirred or had the pump on to make the temp even throughout.
Turn the robo down to your 65c and then stir in the grain, by the time you've down that you should be close to 65c in the mash, ignore the screen on the robo for a while because right down the bottom of the robo can be slightly warmer due to the elements still being warm.
Leave that for 75mins, 60 would probably do but since its quite a low mash temp is why beersmith suggests it.
At the end of the 75mins. you can turn up the setting to 76c ish for mash out, it will take 5 or so mins to get there and then hold it for 10mins. (15mins all up is usually plenty).
Thats it!
Pull the basket, sparge and boil. Cheers!

• Will2233
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3732 by Will2233
Ah ha,
Got it, thanks Gash,
I guess I need some things broken down into simple terms.
Cheers mate,
William

More
5 years 3 months ago #3733 by Gash
Thats fine, sometimes I forget and get carried away, we've all been there mate! Always learning every day! Cheers William!

More
5 years 3 months ago #3734 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Saccharification
Yep Gash is totally right. JUust take your time and enjoy each process. After a few brews take note and ask questions and just watch how your brewing pans out. With homebrewing its one step at a time. Enjoy the journey mate . Stick with it and enter your brews in competition to improve your beers .
Cheers mate take care. Keep in touch.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top