• ozdevil1
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #4975 by ozdevil1
education on brewing was created by ozdevil1
This is just a thought of mine

@Gash understanding of lockdown and all that this cant happen just yet...

i can remember when i first started brewing and getting involved in brewing i was lucky enough to come across a great guy name Steve Nicholls in Adelaide ,, his idea was not so much as paid thing but a mentor role and to guide new brewers into the world specially those that are at extract and wanting to go to the next step to all grain brewing

this happened to me i was about to jump and joined in this group with steve nichols but things took another course and would have been the time i left adealide for melbourne and my brewing had stopped dead

my thought is

getting a 1/2 dozen blokes who are thinking of making the move at a time say $40 bucks a hit to cover costs of grains + a bit for your time Gash to teach those extract brewers that want to make the move

the 6 particpants all choose a beer they like you make the grain bill but explain over the 6 weeks or 12 fortnights
the why and what fours of the process.

i think this would be very benificial to alot of people

it wont be for everyone but learning from someone that has experience and knowledge will keep alot in the game

just food for thought

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 years 6 months ago #4976 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic education on brewing
I have thought of something like this, I’ve been told by other people that I’m too kind because I just invite anyone over for a brew day, but they don’t say that till afterwards hahaha.. it is something I would consider for sure, just wasnt sure about and things, it would be good to send someone home with a cube or a keg, or bottles, but it would have to be pretty pricey.. ingredients, electricity, and mainly time.. as you say would take a few weeks, maybe once a fortnight for 3 or 4 sessions, even then the actual brew session would be just one week.. but yeah needs more thought for sure. Cheers mate!

• ozdevil1
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #4992 by ozdevil1
Replied by ozdevil1 on topic education on brewing

I have thought of something like this, I’ve been told by other people that I’m too kind because I just invite anyone over for a brew day, but they don’t say that till afterwards hahaha.. it is something I would consider for sure, just wasnt sure about and things, it would be good to send someone home with a cube or a keg, or bottles, but it would have to be pretty pricey.. ingredients, electricity, and mainly time.. as you say would take a few weeks, maybe once a fortnight for 3 or 4 sessions, even then the actual brew session would be just one week.. but yeah needs more thought for sure. Cheers mate!

This Idea doesnt have to necessarily run at your place .

this is how it could work

6 people max min of 3 people to make it manageable

each fortnight 1 brewing student opens their home up

That brewing student selects a brew that from a range of recipes that you have choosen that a beginners should
try to brew in the students early start to all grain brewing.

The student turn who is up 1st for brewing sources his own grains yeast hops etc that is required

so 1st student supplies
their own brewing equipment wether it be 1v or 3v system
the use their own utilities water and electricity or gas

each student pays you Gash 20-40$ for your time and knowledge.

so week 1

60 minutes (meet at a craft beer establishment(if we are not in corona virus lockdown)

purpose of this, introducuction to course
a basic run down as to what to expect
a get to know each other
and a look through recipes you have suggested for the student to choose

a fortnight later or a month later

The head brewer brews to show how he brews

then every fortnight/month there after each student takes their turn in a brew day.
at their own place

I really do think this could be very benificial to those from extract brewing wanting to take the next step ito all grain brewing

There could even be an introduction courses to very new brewers that are starting of with extract brewing

Also not forgetting the brew in a bag courses

I Know your Videos do help alot of guys and gals but feel that sometimes a video is not just enough and wouldnt mind seeing from start to finish live and then having a experienced person holding thier hand through there 1st brew day and get a reasonable result rather then going blind and they make a total balls up and the drink is undrinkable for them and they tip it

However totally up to mate wether you want to decide to go down the path as the logistics maybe difficult but i think the result will be worth while in the end

More
3 years 6 months ago #4997 by Carrobrew
Replied by Carrobrew on topic education on brewing
I think this is a great idea.

Not just for the knowledge sharing but also teaching people the right mindset through brewing.

One big thing I learnt from Gash and his videos was to not worry too much and just have fun brewing. It's easy to get stressed thinking it wont go right or for whatever reason.

Starting off a new brewers journey from this relaxed mindset would help a lot.

Also to help dispel a lot of the myths/the importance of certain things (using sugar in a brew, hot side aeration etc)

The logistics thing would be the only issue I suppose (especially interstate) but starting locally would be good. And of course the rona shit but hopefully the resolves one day..

• ozdevil1
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #4998 by ozdevil1

Not just for the knowledge sharing but also teaching people the right mindset through brewing.

One big thing I learnt from Gash and his videos was to not worry too much and just have fun brewing. It's easy to get stressed thinking it wont go right or for whatever reason.

Also to help dispel a lot of the myths/the importance of certain things (using sugar in a brew, hot side aeration etc)

The logistics thing would be the only issue I suppose (especially interstate) but starting locally would be good. And of course the rona shit but hopefully the resolves one day..

100% agree with you

just something i have noticed since returning from a 10 year absence from brewing is there has been a lot of newcomers to the seen and have jumped straight into all grain with out no knowledge of it and have given up brewing becuase they dont fully understand it or wether they have brewed bad brews.

When i stopped brewing i was about to take the leap into all grain, this time round i just jumped straight into it..
but I had the oppurtunity to attend a few of these brewing tuitions before moving from Adelaide to Melbourne
found it very useful

even though i have started all grain already but if this sort of thing was available i still would get involved
I know there isnt much traffic through this website but gashs to face book pages would be enough people for this to make happen

yes interstate will make hard but there maybe an experienced brewer in other states that may help those states that gash could franchise out in the future

I also think now is a great time in covid lockdown to think and start getting things going once lockdown finishes

• ozdevil1
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
3 years 6 months ago #4999 by ozdevil1

100% agree with you

just something i have noticed since returning from a 10 year absence from brewing is there has been a lot of newcomers to the seen and have jumped straight into all grain with out no knowledge of it and have given up brewing becuase they dont fully understand it or wether they have brewed bad brews.

When i stopped brewing i was about to take the leap into all grain, this time round i just jumped straight into it..
but I had the oppurtunity to attend a few of these brewing tuitions before moving from Adelaide to Melbourne
found it very useful

even though i have started all grain already but if this sort of thing was available i still would get involved
I know there isnt much traffic through this website but gashs to face book pages would be enough people for this to make happen

yes interstate will make hard but there maybe an experienced brewer in other states that may help those states that gash could franchise out in the future

I also think now is a great time in covid lockdown to think and start getting things going once lockdown finishes

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top