You are not logged in.

opinions please

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 8 months ago #1428 by xenon
opinions please was created by xenon
Whats the difference between Pale Ales, IPA's and APA's. Whats better and why? Anyone with an opinion feel free to chime in! No rights or wrongs the style lines are so blurred. Whats important is whats the best. APA's can be Aussie Pale Ales, Aotearoa Pale Ales or American Pale Ales.

I'll go first APA's specifically Aotearoa Pale Ales. Cause I'm a kiwi but really cause its style of a style down here that I get to taste alot. The extra fruity nose and more intense flavour (sorry cant accurately describe it) but there is some malt going on in there that just adds another level of complexity. Favs are Tuatara APA, Epic Armaggedon, Liberty Yakima Monster, Pan Head Vandal. Brown Bear Racer5

I wanna hear so lets hear it :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #1430 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic opinions please
I've always thought apa was American pale ale and that's it. Never heard of Aotearoa or Australian Pale Ales, although they are talking of an Australian Ale being added to the BJCP list, which I think would cover Coopers Sparkling and Coopers Pale Ale, it might also include the Aussie style Lagers/Bitters.

APAs are a more hoppier style of a regular Pale Ale. IPAs are stronger in Alcohol and hoppier. There are two basic types of IPA in my opinion the old English style which usually have a good malt backbone and a fair amount of hops, the US West Coast IPAs have much less of a malt backbone, some say none lol but are usually very hop forward.

I like many pale ales that are made in Australia but most are American Pale Ales just made here. I used to like Coopers Pale Ale but now I'm a hop head it just tastes like water, but it's one of the only I've had that I would I guess call an Australian Pale Ale as far as style, but maybe some call our US style Pale Ales Australian just because some use mainly Australian ingredients.

The Lines are very blurry at the moment in the beer world. Some times I like that idea, other times I like to think more traditionally. That's where home brewing comes into it's own, because it doesn't matter as long as it tastes good :D !!

Cheers!
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by Gash.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top