Ageing beer in kegs

• Birdy Bro
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
6 years 10 months ago #2416 by Birdy Bro
Ageing beer in kegs was created by Birdy Bro
Hi All,
I'm wondering if any of you have aged your beer in kegs, and if so for how long and what the outcome was?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 10 months ago #2419 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Ageing beer in kegs
I have aged beer in kegs, it works, although if you want to age for a long time unrefrigerated it would probably be a good idea to rack just before ferment is finished or add some carbing sugar to the keg when you fill it, usually half the amount you would use for bottling. If you are going to age in the keg but keep it refrigerated this isnt an issue, so you'd just fill and purge out the oxygen and then store.
I much rather aging this way or in bottles, I don't like aging in fermenters its cumbersome with no real advantages. Cheers!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Birdy Bro

More
6 years 2 months ago #2997 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Ageing beer in kegs
I just finish fermenting a 6.4%ESB and I want to condition in a secondary class carboy in a fridge for a couple of weeks until I get my kegging system up and running.
Do I crash cold the beer before racking or does it not matter either way?
Thanks

More
6 years 2 months ago #3000 by Gash
I wouldnt bother cold crashing before hand mate, it might actually pay to add a small amount of sugar/ldm so it ferments a touch to fill the top of the carboy with CO2, if there is going to be some space in the top, to try and stop it oxidising.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3011 by Finnroo
Thanks for that advice its something to remember and put into practice so cheers.
Ive got my keg set up and beer in and had a wee bit of carnage just getting used to setting it up. I got there in the end.
I m not really getting a good pour and im wondering why. So im carbonating at 20 ,how do i get it down to 10 with out burping it. Well i did burp it and got it to 10 but the flow was a dribble, cranked it up to 20 again and it was better but a bit foamy although not too much.
I did take out the gas post when i first got it home to have a look and there was a spring and valve and i now wonder if i put it back the right way.?
I am also usung 2 metres of line for both gas and beer/
Im having a beer from it and apart from this pouring issue its fantastic. I dont know what im doing so please help ,have been scanning your you tube vids for answers. cheers

More
6 years 2 months ago #3012 by Finnroo
Also i had beer coming out the beer post when i didnt have the easy connect on. dont know why.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3013 by Gash
ok, need more detail, exactly how long its been at 20 etc also do you know what the ID Inner Diameter of your beer line is?

More
6 years 2 months ago #3014 by Gash
Temperature its been at etc. the whole lot

More
6 years 2 months ago - 6 years 2 months ago #3015 by Finnroo
Thanks mate I just got it sorted. I had the beer post valve around the wrong way . The clue was when beer came out the beer post when the line wasnt plugged in. Changed it around and i works perfect.
Last edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Finnroo.

More
6 years 2 months ago #3016 by Gash
excellent!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top