You are not logged in.

HELP!

More
5 years 3 months ago #3677 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic HELP!
How long are you whirlpooling for and do you throw the hops in for dry hopping loose? or use hop bags? Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3678 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic HELP!
May be your next brew dont use your hop spider just throw your hops in loose and same when you dry hop. See if that makes a difference. cheers

More
5 years 3 months ago #3679 by Finnroo
HaHa sorry Gash we both must have posted at the same time, cheers

More
5 years 3 months ago #3680 by Gash
Recipe looks solid, except if you whirlpool too long, with a longish whirlpool I'd move the 10 min add closer towards the end.
I'd try and maybe ferment a touch lower 19c.
If you use hop bags for dry hopping, avoid hop socks and get big loose bags with plenty of room in them and also throw a stainless steel nut or some marbles in it to weigh it down, Add them slowly trying not to splash.
Other than that let me know how you bottle/keg, at all stages avoid oxygen as much as possible.

• lchang
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3691 by lchang
Replied by lchang on topic HELP!
Hey guys.

Yeah I usually just use the spider, I find when I throw them straight in it clogs to pump and makes using the plate chiller very hard.

Oxygen is as good as I can get it really. No keg system so just goes straight from fermenter to bottle via wand and capped. As minimal splash and oxygen as possible, but with doing it this way you can only do so much.

Can the PH affect the beer heaps? Mine is quite high, but when I put my grain bill in to water chem spreadsheet says its okay. I dono. Ive done brews all different ways and it always come out the same. I feel like the issue is something fundamental.

• lchang
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3692 by lchang
Side note. I have done all different recipes, Gash your Hop Hog, 150 lashes, kozi recipe. And a few others. Despite all being different, they all taste very similar. bitter, with a dry mouth feel and non existent hop aroma, if any it is not what it should be.

More
5 years 3 months ago #3693 by Finnroo
Looking a your grain bill more closely and your salt additions i dont think youll get a 5.3 ph in your mash and your sparge water will be too high as well Your water ph is about the same as mine 7.8
I bought myself a ph metre and now i have a good idea of my ph. i have started using a little lactic acid and its really helped getting my ph down on the lightly coloured beers. maybe this helps cheers

More
5 years 3 months ago #3694 by Gash
Lets step back a bit, assuming your malts and hops are all good.

You say it tastes ok before ferment but not good after.

How do you prepare your plate chiller? If its all steel as I imagine, I'd recommend baking it in an oven say 200c for at least 30mins, I'd probably go an hour. Give it a rinse through with water and then cook it again. Ensure all hoses are cleaned and sanitised correctly.

Do you dismantle your fermenter taps every batch? If you have any.

Water, correct pH doesn't mean correct beer taste profile. Though that should be checkable in the software you use, saying that I've just spent near an hour trying to figure out your water report, why do they make it so hard? Maybe its just too early lol . Trying to find the sulphate and chloride figures..

More
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #3695 by Gash
That sort of plate bake isnt needed every batch, well at least not 2 bakes and the rinse in between. I did use to bake my chiller the day before every batch, just covered the holes with some foil and used it the next day. Used no star san or anything on brew day, after brew day I'd give it a good rinse, put some water in the robobrew with some S.P or other cleaner, pump it through for 20 mins or so, then rinse. That was it, bake before brew day.
Last edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Gash.

• lchang
  • Topic Author
More
5 years 3 months ago #3699 by lchang
Hey guys.
I might look at trying the PH meter. But like gash said if its not too wrong it shouldn't be affecting my beer that much.

I'm hesitant to think its the plate chiller either, because I only just got it and used it for the last two brews. Before that I just recirculated through water & ice, and they still tasted the same.

I can email you my water report if you like Gash? I'm even happy to send a few bottles of beer you way to see if you can tell anything from the taste.

Appreciate the help guys. Really want to get to the bottom of this.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top