You are not logged in.

I'm back, finally

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago - 4 years 9 months ago #4090 by MTbottle
I'm back, finally was created by MTbottle
My Micri$haft Winblows 7 Pro crashed and away went all my bookmarks, beer recipes, BeerSmith, saved passwords, etc. I can't remember how many forums I was on, but I did remember this one, Coopers and a few others.
A couple of months ago I was surprised to find a brand new Cooper's Micro-Brew Kit Original Series (starter kit?) in a thrift store for $10. Yeah, it was circa 2010, still in the box, original sealing tape in place - but it was an extract kit and I've done one older than that in the past (John Bull? stout) and it came out OK. This was a Pale Ale of some kind, prehopped with who knows what kind of hops. It came with the weirdest looking fermenter I had ever seen ... no air-lock, just a big plastic 'barrel' that fit so closely that it must have been designed to act as an air-lock by itself. Do they still make this thing?
I was ghosting the DIY beer community forum to see if there was any comments about this fermenter kit, and found a thread here - community.diybeer.com/topic/12004-first-ag-on-robobrew/ - and the first pic that an OP named James Lao posted looks to be the bottom of that same fermenter, sitting on a milk crate. Is this possible?
I brewed that 'pale ale' in the Cooper's fermenter and it went well, the OG, etc. was way too low for me, so I added some Organic sugars becuz I guess the LME had lost a lot of the sugars over time. The taste was good, but the alcohol was not up to par (6% or better for me), but I've all but finished the 5 gallons (23L?) or so of the beer.
I'm wondering if I can re-use this fermenter a few more times - I have no idea of the expected lifetime, nor any unfavorable comments about them. I'm currently out of state and I left my carboys at home - I do, however have 3 empty kegs, so I can ferment in one if them if I'm told there are problems with this type of fermenter, I just had to buy a keg lid that's set up for a bubbler/air lock. I'm planning my next brew to be an English Porter, AG, so if that's not going to work with this type of fermentation device, I'd like to know in advance. Note: not being at home with the brew pots, I am brewing in an electric Turkey Fryer that has about a 3 1/2 gallon oil capacity - I boil past the top limit line, about 4 gallons, and only have to add about a gallon and a half or so of cold water after the boil to bring the wort up to 5 gallons in the fermenter - works pretty good for brewing in a small cabin.
Any opinions or advice?
Last edit: 4 years 9 months ago by MTbottle. Reason: FFE's

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 years 9 months ago #4091 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic I'm back, finally
Yep they still sell those, they work, they may not be the best if you have bug problems, but many use them, I wouldnt age in them but as long as you brew in it and then package the beer all should be fine. I never used the collar, I just used the lid, but thats up to you, mines retired now, I use it for storage, Cheers mate, good to see you again!

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #4092 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic I'm back, finally
Hi Gash;
Thanks for the info .... do away with the collar? I'll give that a look-see. From your response, I'd guess that fermenting an AG batch is no different than an extract batch in those fermenters.
We're no longer in Montana ,,,,,, moved South to find work, hopefully we'll move back before I die! We are plagued by gnats (so small they're called 'no-see-ums' here) and fruitflies (larger and more aggressive) in this part of the country, so we don't keep fresh fruit out on the counter, no matter what. We eat it before we get home from the grocery so that even the scent is only what's on our breath or clothes, or it goes direct to the freezer and only comes out when it's going to be eaten! Even then, my wife has found fruitflies buzzing around in the freezer - don't these little buggers freeze to death??? LOL

When I brew the next beer, I'll keep a lookout for those bugs ..... flies, as well as cockroaches, and stink-bugs, and if they show up in great numbers, that'll be the last time the Cooper's fermenter sees the light of day here! If I get back to Montana, I'll be able to use it there, or I'll just sell it on craigs-list instead. I may keep the plastic bottles, since I invested in a carbonation cap and ball-lock adapter to connect to it for filling those bottles. I'm not partial to plastic, but it does seem pretty convenient. I remember you made a video, so I'll look for that as well to bring myself up to speed.
Thanx,
MTbottle

More
4 years 9 months ago #4093 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic I'm back, finally
you can use the collar if you like, and if you're worried about bugs you can just try wrapping some cling wrap around it, ummm saran wrap or what its called, if you think its going to be an issue

• MTbottle
  • Topic Author
More
4 years 9 months ago #4094 by MTbottle
Replied by MTbottle on topic I'm back, finally
Yeah, it's Saran wrap here as well. The wife uses it a lot, so there's always some handy. When I do use an airlock on a fermenter, I put in cheap vodka instead of water or sanitizer - the flies seem to avoid the alcohol, and I've had suck-back once or twice over the years, so I'd rather have suck-back of cheap vodka instead of water (possible contamination) or sanitizer in my beer. Since it's such a small amount, a quart lasts a long, long time (unless I get into it for 'medicinal purposes' ;>). ) and it does nothing at all for the ABV of the batch - I tested that theory once!
My wife used water once for her Kefir and her Kombuscha, and the flies got into the bubbler, so now she uses vodka and no problems!
Take care my friend,
MTbottle

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top