You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

loosen faith

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1343 by DaveyM
loosen faith was created by DaveyM
hello to all members im happy to be here corse I found my way here from wtchin gashslug vids .. "gashslug" :evil:

I started homebrewin 20 yeqrs backs with kit an kilo sugar done the job got me pissed on the cheap for memory jus uster get the larger an kilo sugar an away ya go , how things have changed after probly 15 yrs sobriety Ive started to enjoy a few beers again baut as nuthins changed still cant afford my apetite so I decided to give homebrew another go bout 12 mths back have done 25 brews some good some not so , only used coopers pehopped can adding hops ect but still my beers aint been good enough to stop the buying antyways hoping to get some good advice fron you guys to keep me in the game will post my upcoming batch sone to get some feedback with apprexiation
baz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1344 by DaveyM
Replied by DaveyM on topic loosen faith
cant seem to find my way , I have two upcoming brews I want you guys to look at just need to know in what forum section should I post'em both are coopers prehopped tins with some hopeful upgrades

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #1345 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic loosen faith
Just post them here mate, and we'll have a look , then move them to the recipe section if thats what you would like!

Hopefully we'll get you sorted!

Cheers mate!

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1346 by DaveyM
Replied by DaveyM on topic ok heres the first a coopers fruity draught
21 lts
coopers OS draught
1kg LDM
100gms dex
200 gms crystal 120 “im guessin thats whatya call it , got it from ebay listed as cyrstal/cyrstal ”
amarillo 10 gms@10min , 10gms flameout 30min steep
cascade 10gms@10min, 10gms flameout 30 min steep
us 05 yeast
will be carbing with carb drops no racking ect
ferment the best I can around 15-18 degrees no fridge just do me best to keep it down

its abit of a tke off coopers fruit salad ale just hoping the addition off grain will help with presentation " head an lacing "

your thought and advice appreciated

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago - 9 years 10 months ago #1348 by Gash
That fruit salad ale was crafted from one of my recipes! They put that up a few months after my youtube video, and its too close to be a coincidence.
I'd start with a pale ale can if possible it turns out a lot nicer then their draught cans. The beer will turn out a little more bitter using the Draught Can.
Let me know how you are preparing your grains, I didn't add any to mine just to keep it simple for beginners, but steeping some grain for it will do it good.
And also using US05 you would be better off fermenting around 19c if possible (18c-20c).
I'd also cut the hop steep time down to 10mins max.
Other than that your recipe looks good. The beer will turn out a little more bitter using the Draught Can.
Last edit: 9 years 10 months ago by Gash.

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1350 by DaveyM
Replied by DaveyM on topic ok heres the first a coopers fruity draught
my initial plan was to cold steep the grain overnight bring up to volume add malt and do hop additions .

I have the draught on hand and prefer it over the pale ale so will stick with it , my plan is not make the fruit salad ale as such but I enjoyed those hops in the FSA so would like that pairing in the draught .

I thought it may be a become a little to bitter with the 10 min additions using Ians speedsheet draught has starting IBU 25 after additions IUB 30.8

as for my tongues IBU tolerance I got no idea on the numbers I enjoy store beers cooper red , boags , carlton VB ect nothing to bitter there for me but I dont know how those beers correspond to IBU scale so as to figure out my IBU cuttoff

I also came across the list of IBU's for coopers cans , it makes it even more confusing as the IUB's are higher on this list over the speadsheet

Using the formula: IBU of tin*1.7/23

Beer = IBU on can = IBU (based on 23L)
Lager = 390 = 28.8
Draught = 420 = 31.0
Dark Ale = 590 = 43.6
Real Ale = 560 = 41.4
Stout = 710 = 52.5
Pale Ale = 340 = 25.1
Mex Cerveza = 270 = 20.0
Can Blonde = 420 = 31.0
English Bitter = 590 = 43.6
Euro Lager = 340 = 25.1
Heritage Lager = 390 = 28.8
IPA = 710 = 52.5
Irish Stout = 560 = 41.4
Aust Bitter = 495 = 36.6
Pilsner = 420 = 31.0
Sparkling Ale = 490 = 36.2
Trad Draught = 420 = 31.0
Wheat Beer = 300 = 22.2

I had the 30 min steep time as taken from the FSA recipe , you recommend no longer than 10min steep , can you explain the reasoning ..in the way of steep times pros an cons

I could lower the additions to 5mins to drop the IUB 28.2 according to speadsheet ..then do your 10min steep with remaing hops

that would then come close to my original recipe excluding the draught for Pale Ale as you reccomend as in the speadsheet APA in my recipe with 10min add's gives IUB of 26

as for the temps dont have much control other than to keep fire burning to keep house warm and should be able to maintain 18-22 round about there

your thoughts appreciated

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #1351 by Gash
Those beers you like would be in the 20s for the IBUs at a guess.
The reason I would say to not steep the hops for so long at the end of the boil is the reason you do a steep is more for hop flavour, but a long steep will extract more bitterness. In recently boiled water the bitterness can keep extracting for up to 20mins. There people that swear that flameout hops don't add bitterness, I can tell you from many experiments they do. If you've read about no chill brewing you'll see they adjust hop additions by 20 mins, because of this fact. The reason I use Pale over Draught cans is because it is that little bit less bitter, which gives you more room for hop experimenting and boiling. So yes I think if drop the 10min additions to 5mins you will be better off, just remember you still want to boil the grain steep tea for about 15-20 mins to sanitise it. Other than that I think you are good to go! :D

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1352 by DaveyM
Replied by DaveyM on topic Im taking your advice and do appreciate it
no I havent had a chance to read up on no chill brewing but I will do , the other thing I will change is the grain steep from cold to a hot steep as follows takin from coopers recipe

In a good sized pot (around 8 litres), mix with 2 litres of hot water (not boiling) and let steep for about 1hr.

Remove the grain; add 3 litres of water and 500g of Light Dry Malt then bring to the boil.

I will then do the 5min additions

and yes Im go to go , thankyou Gash I do appreciate your help

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 10 months ago #1353 by Gash
an hour is plenty, even half hour will do it. When steeping grain like this its just really dissolving the sugars in the cracked grain husks, all the conversion has already been done, that's why cold steeping works as well. The warmer the water the easier it is to dissolve the sugars, cold you leave overnight. And anywhere between about 65c and 80c can be done if around 20 - 30mins. But if it ends up being an hour no harm is done. Give it a good stir at the start and end. Strain the grain and run some water through the grain to help get the goodness out. Throw the grain away and then boil for at least 15 mins.

• DaveyM
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 10 months ago #1354 by DaveyM
Replied by DaveyM on topic Im taking your advice and do appreciate it
thanks Gash will do , Recipe 2 is a Cervesa but im a bit confused with the grain I purchased

Crystal Caramel Pilsner
Crystal 5 < 10 Briess 5.5 - 6.5 5.50%
Caramel Malt Pils optimises the froth properties and full-bodied character of the beer. The malt character resembles that of BEST Pilsner malt. The malt is malted, sugared and finally gently roasted using a special process. This produces the special caramel aroma.

what gets me confused is this also refered to or abbreviated as carapils , ? crystal light ? crystal 10 ...
Im trying to put this into Ians spread sheet so as I can finalize my recipe but cant find a category because Im not sure as to where it fits

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top