You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Back in to Brewing

• Cherry1
  • Cherry1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 9 months ago #2561 by Cherry1
Back in to Brewing was created by Cherry1
Quick intro, just getting back in to brewing after more than 20 years. Love the site and the YouTube vids, internet was not the internet last time I did home brew, I now have too much information.
Been distilling for a while, but I am a beer drinker at heart.
Believe a lot of the issues I had in the past were due to temp control during fermentation. Got a fridge and a STC 1000 on the way. Just a question around the heating element for the fridge.
I notice on Gash's vids that a desk lamp pointing downwards is used. Is that more than good enough?
Live in the Adelaide Hills so it gets cold in the evenings through most of the year and fridge is in the shed.
When searching on this question a lot of people mention having fans to circulate the heat???
I found this on Bunnings website www.bunnings.com.au/moretti-2400w-white-...-fan-heater_p4441500 not overly expensive, would this be better or am I worrying about nothing.
Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 9 months ago - 6 years 9 months ago #2562 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Back in to Brewing
G'day, yep a desk lamp believe it or not is enough, you do need to be careful of the light bulb melting your fridge, they get hot, although a heat belt or heat pad is good option and probably safer. You could use a heater, but I think what would happen is the fridge space would heat up quickly and the heater thermostat would turn the heater off well before the fermenter is warmed, it might still work depending on how long it takes for the heaters thermostat to kick back in. My fridge is in the garage in Victoria so won't be much different to yours. If I was going to spend money I'd get a heat belt, heat pad or some form of reptile heater from a pet shop, they have heater bulbs too that dont emit light so you dont have to cover your fermenters, I use halogen light bulbs mainly because I can get them at the supermarket up the road. Cheers!
Last edit: 6 years 9 months ago by Gash.

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 8 months ago #2565 by Cherry1
Replied by Cherry1 on topic Back in to Brewing
Cheers Gash.
May give the cheapo desk lamp a go and see how I go.
Cheers

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 8 months ago #2566 by Cherry1
Gash
What wattage bulb is enough?
Cheers
Chris

More
6 years 8 months ago #2567 by Gash
Big ones hard to get these days, think mines a 40W halogen at the moment, can also hit pet shops for reptile heater bulbs

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 8 months ago #2582 by Cherry1
Fridge is up and running. Ended up with a reptile heater cable (waterproof) off a mate. seems to be doing job.
First small batch of Old Speckled Hen clone (AG) in bottles in the fridge (thats the pom in me coming out) and 23 l of a hoppy pale ale (Ex with G) fermenting.
Still going to the bottle shop while I am waiting.....
Gash - enjoying Robobrew vids, will you keep using that or back to 3 vessel?

More
6 years 8 months ago #2583 by Gash
good to hear its working! I love my 3V but the robobrew seems ok, I'll let you know after a few more brews :) Cheers!

More
6 years 7 months ago #2659 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Back in to Brewing
How did your Old Speckled Hen turn out. Any chance you could post the recipe. Cheers.
PS I just use an old heat belt for mine here in Christchurch. Goes well. :)

• Cherry1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
6 years 7 months ago #2660 by Cherry1
It turned out pretty good seeing as it was my first AG. Only did 11 l as that is the most I could boil.
The recipe I used was "Hashie's Old Speckled Hen" which is on the Beersmith website. If you cannot find it, I will work out how to post it here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Finnroo

More
6 years 6 months ago #2664 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Back in to Brewing
Cheers for that, i will look it up. I like that english style beer and the fox cracks me up haha boom boom

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top