You are not logged in.

× Welcome to Cellar Dweller a place for brewers of all kinds to share recipes, ideas and build a database of information that we can all benefit from.

Have fun and enjoy yourselves here and try to play nice in the sandbox!

Please sign up to the site and help us build this community! If you would like to have any of your videos on the site or information please feel free to contact one of the administrators.

If there is any information in the forum that is missing or incorrect please contact the administrators. We are not gonna police you lot - please use common sense.

Also if you would like a section added let us know, we have endeavoured to cover all bases but you never know it is after all your community to build.

We have a lot of exciting things planned for the future and we hope YOU can be a part of it!

Cheers!

Ah G'Day

• GrahamT
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3118 by GrahamT
Ah G'Day was created by GrahamT
a new (to brewing) Kiwi here.

I have been distilling for many years but have not until now turned my hand to Beer (or wine)

I figured I have a lot of common gear, have made all-grain spirits etc so time to play.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3119 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Ah G'Day
G'day mate! Yep guessing you have just about everything! Probably just get away with a grain bag, depending on your still set up, Cheers!

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3122 by Finnroo
Replied by Finnroo on topic Ah G'Day
Gidday fellow Kiwi and welcome. Any idea what you might like to brew first off? Cheers

• GrahamT
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #3125 by GrahamT
Replied by GrahamT on topic Ah G'Day
I have a couple of Lager extract kits which have been on the shelf for a few months. I will cut my teeth on them before heading into an all-grain brew in the Robobrew.
I have also acquired a Malt Mechanics 30l Conical fermenter to play with.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by GrahamT.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3129 by Finnroo
Or you could do a partial mash which would involve a kit and a mash. I started with that after straight kit brewing and it went really well , made some great beers. cheers. If your keen let me know and Ill huntout my old notes and recipies and post them here for you to ponder.

• GrahamT
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3130 by GrahamT
Great idea yes please

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3131 by Finnroo
excellent will post tomorrow, no worries, cheers mate.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #3136 by Finnroo
! can of lager prehopped extract kit,
3kg pale malt,
300g crystal,
10g of hops around the AA5% 60min
20g at 20min
20g at flameout.
Mash with 10 litres of water ,strike being 74degc and mash around 66degC
for 1 hour.
Raise the temp to mash out at around 74degC and sparge with water at 72degC to
gather preboil quantity for 20 litres (I think its about 28 litres please check with your robobrew instructions)
Boil for 60min adding first addition of hops at the start of the boil and 2nd hop addition PLUS THE PREHOPPED KIT at 20min before the end of the boil.

You might want add some irish moss then as well for clarity.
Finally add flame out hops at the end of the boil.
Cool down to 22degC and pitch your yeast( which although it states its a lager im picking its an ale yeast)
and try and ferment at 18 to 21 degC for 10 days and check hydrometer reading.
Cheers , ive asked Gash to have a look at this as i dont brew with a grainfather or robobrew. to check all is compatable. Goodluck and enjoy.
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by Finnroo.

• GrahamT
  • Topic Author
More
6 years 2 weeks ago - 6 years 2 weeks ago #3137 by GrahamT
Thanks I appreciate this and will await Gash's comments. Suggest this now moves into a more appropriate section rather than the welcome section.

Got a suggestion as to hops variety(s) to use? The hops part is totally new to me never used them in my whisky or bourbons
Last edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by GrahamT.

More
6 years 2 weeks ago #3138 by Finnroo
yeah good question, personally i enjoy english hops Fuggles and Goldings etc but alot of people like more flavoursome hops like Cascade, Citra. The only way is to try them out yourself and learn about them as you go. And its fun, also I always say one thing at a time, alot of people will add 3 or 4 hop varities and not really know what the individual hop offers. Just an observation.
Maybe you could go on a wee field trip and find some craft beers that mention what hops theyve used and try them out for your self if you like them.
Happy hunting. cheers

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top