You are not logged in.

all grain newby need some advice

• Johnson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #900 by Johnson
Replied by Johnson on topic all grain newby need some advice
and we are under way :) went for 78 strike temp instead of 76 as suggseted and hit it pretty well bang on and im gunna check it after 20 minutes and add water if needed. wish me luck

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Johnson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #901 by Johnson
just one question, i don't have a tap on my pot so when the wort is all done cooled (no i am not there yet)do i just pour the hole lot in or do i try and leave the bottom stuff behind? and the recipe i am using asks for whirlflock should i use this even though i don't have a tap?

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #903 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic all grain newby need some advice
Sorry mate, didnt see this till just now, how did you go? I'm about to brew in an hour or so if you wanna watch via google hangout, not very exciting but you can see how I do it.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #904 by Gash
I'm Gash Slugg on facebook if you didnt know or we arent friends already.

• Johnson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #905 by Johnson
Hey gash sorry i missed your hang out it would have been good to see your method, things got a little crazy around here. My brew day went not too bad actually for a first attempt my efficiency is way down and I came up 2 litres short but I learn't a lot had a bit of fun and I still ended up with 18L of 1044 wort fermenting in the fridge so I'm happy :). so i wont get a chance to brew for a couple of weeks but when i do I'm going to do the same brew again and see if i can improve my efficency and Im pretty sure i can. one major factor I think was the crushed grain i got from the home brew shop, it didn't seem fine enough as there wasn't much powdery stuff and took bugger all to mix in unlike in many videos i have watched. I didn't quite get to my mash out temp either and just drained anyway so i will add an extra litre next time. also i only did one big batch sparge so will do it in two halves next time and make sure i drain it slower and also add a few more litres to cover for the 2 litres i came up short. so yeah I'm feeling much more confident about round two

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago - 10 years 8 months ago #906 by Gash
Sounds like it went pretty good mate, especially for a first attempt! Yes I'd still use a whirlflock, and ideally yes you'd try and leave behind most of the trub (goop lol). Takes a couple of brews to get all your water quantities worked out.
Last edit: 10 years 8 months ago by Gash.

• Johnson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #907 by Johnson
I just poured the hole lot in through a seive and now i have big fluffy clouds of proteins foating in there lol i take it this will drop to the bottom after fermentation slows down?

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #908 by Gash
Yes it should drop out

• munisingbeer
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 8 months ago #909 by munisingbeer
Replied by munisingbeer on topic all grain newby need some advice
Just caught this thread. but I'd say you did great for first AG, the Protiens and such should settle out fine, are you bottleing or kegging?

and Like Gash said it takes a few runs to get your set up dialedin (even if your on batch 40 or so) if you change stuff it takes some adjusting. so sounds like your off to a great start.

• Johnson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 7 months ago #980 by Johnson
so its been over two weeks and i still have a lot of floaties in the fermenter :( and the gravity is still 1015 the same as when i checked it on monday. i have given the fermenter a few little rocks a few times this week and when i do a few bits usually fall down but there is still a fair bit there. so what do i do? wait it out or rack it into another fermenter? and i will be bottling if that makes a difference. also 1015 is still pretty high i was expecting 1010-1012 did i mash to hot?

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top