Virgin All Grain Brew Day.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #1217 by Dullahan Brewing
Virgin All Grain Brew Day. was created by Dullahan Brewing
Yaaaaay finally i get to post a thread in here :woohoo:

Had a group brew day today, it was my first all grain brew and also on a totally untested setup.Waiting on confrimation from one of the guys but my recollection is in my eskie i had 18kg Maris Otter,2kg Crystal 145ebc, and 25 litres water total. :P

I could not fit any more, we had to brew 200 litres between five of us , we brewed an Old English Ale, aimed for an SG of 1070 ish. I know my first runnings were up at 1096 anyway lol. Good grief talk about being thrown in at the deep end. :blink:

Of course my mash got completely stuck but with that amount of grain i am not surprised. Could not be helped as i had one of the big mash tuns Still a very long but enjoyable day, i learned a lot especially some things to avoid. This was not a normal brew day, it was a monster brew day :woohoo:

Attachment IMAG0060.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0061.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0062.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0063.jpg not found

Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Dullahan Brewing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago #1218 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Virgin All Grain Brew Day.
wow spewing I missed this! So how did it all go in the end?

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 years 1 month ago - 10 years 1 month ago #1219 by Dullahan Brewing
Replied by Dullahan Brewing on topic Virgin All Grain Brew Day.
Good m8 but a bloody long day, i think we were 8 hours or more at it. For me the guys saw a couple of things that need fine tuning on my setup which was great because now i know what i need to do. Was very good to see all the guys brewing as now i have a mental picture of how a brew day should go which will be great for when i do my own.

Damn but hot wort is sticky out of the mash tun :blink:

One thing that was very apparent is that i badly need a proper boil kettle, the aluminium keg is going to be my HLT for definite now so i need to find a kettle somewhere. Also manifold in eskie needs reworking, blocks too easily with big grain bills.

Blowing back through a silicone hose to unblock a copper manifold sure takes the wind out of you :whistle:
Last edit: 10 years 1 month ago by Dullahan Brewing.

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #1303 by Dullahan Brewing
Since i did no mash out on this beer i took the grain home with me and mashed out for 30 minutes and still did a 60 minute boil i think it was,did all the hop additions etc and i got 20 litres post boil at OG 1050 :blink:

Its in a keg now tapped and its bloody lovely, the OG of the first original runnings that went into the group brew was 1090 so i knew there was plenty of fermentables left in the grain so i saw no point in the chooks getting that. :woohoo:
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by Dullahan Brewing.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1304 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Virgin All Grain Brew Day.
Thats great Greg! Post the vid if you do one!

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 11 months ago #1305 by Dullahan Brewing
Might do a taste test video later today,did not actually video when i brought the grains home :ohmy:

• Dullahan Brewing
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 3 months ago - 9 years 3 months ago #1627 by Dullahan Brewing
Way back at the start of 2014 i did my first all grain which turned out to be a group brew day between about 6 of us all with our own setups brewing a single beer.We brewed an Old Ale that was aged in a Bushmills whiskey barrel for about ten months. It was bottled up last month and my share was 46 x 500ml of roughly 8% abv barrel aged Old Ale :woohoo:

It needs a good bit to carb from what the others have said but samples were promising,i just got my share a few days ago but they were stored cold so need at least a couple weeks to carb fully.However not one to wait i just cracked one and it is very lightly carbed which i think suits the style a lot. ;)

All i can say is OMG what a beer. First impressions it is like drinking a glass of fine sherry,definitely a sipper as i have only got a third into a bottle and i can feel the buzz already,i think that 8% abv is a very reserved estimate tbh,toffee/molasses/caramel/sherry/oak i could go on.So pleased with this brew and defo a special occasion beer i am going to try to get out to a few people in 2015. :blink:
Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 3 months ago by Dullahan Brewing.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top