You are not logged in.

Brew cherry popped

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #1391 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Brew cherry popped
As always I'm grateful for the advice and its good to hear from all! that's what a forum is for.

In my case i'm sticking to the "norm" as its my first brew and i need baseline benchmark data to compare to the majority.

Good to hear about the ferment time and that fact yeasts are very much alive still. Books cover this but it is really the "art" part and can only be learned from doing and talking to others. I used a 12 hour starter and yes fermentation within 10 minutes. I just racked, primed and bottled today after 14 days. The beer itself was very clear. The cake was large and when sampled/tested it sucked out and left me concerned. Hence why I was going to crash.

I'll stick to the plan for now. Which is to leave it another week at 18c before i consume it and another 2 before i let anyone else at it.

CHEERS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #1392 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic Brew cherry popped
As far as cold crashing actually ridding the wort of usable yeast for carbonating is hard to do if the yeast is healthy too start with, I have frozen (accidentally see attached pic) a whole fermenter, I defrosted it and bottled and those bottles still had enough viable yeast to carbonate the bottles. Yeast is a fairly tough little thing, that's how it survives drying, storage and all the other things it goes through before we get it, of course the better and healthier it is the better beer we will end up with. When you add a pack of yeast to your wort and it takes 2 or 3 days to really start pumping then there was probably something wrong with it, that doesn't mean you won't end up with a great beer, but you could of had a better beer if it was healthier. I've seen some write that after a few weeks of fermentation and then another 6 or more weeks of secondary that they have to add yeast for bottling, this may be true, but I think its more to do with getting a full and quick bottle carbonation rather than it not carbonating at all and some breweries do this so they get a more reliable carbonation and so they can filter the beer before bottling but add some yeast just for bottle conditioning.

Anyway enough of my drunken end of brew day dribbling lol

Cheers!

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago #1393 by Gash
cool cheers mate! sorry you replied before I even finished typing that last message, bit slow here, been a long day lol

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #1394 by Gash
frozen fermenter lol

Attachments:
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by Gash.

• xenon
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #1418 by xenon
Replied by xenon on topic Brew cherry popped
So I have been drinking the beer since Wednesday and its really good. We had a home brew Friday at the office. There are a few guys brewing extracts. The comments ranged from way better than mine and its your first. This tastes like an IPA craft beer and i'd pay money for this. I thought you were talking shit and it would be horrible crap but it tastes like it came from the bottle store.

I'm a little (alot probably) fussier, but i spose you are more critical of your own work. I like it alot but it can still be better. It has great head and lacing, like top marks great. Has more mouth feel than i thought it would, is alittle sweeter than i thought as well, but has good bitterness to balance and cut through the malt flavours when swallowed. It could be drier and crispier, but thats my tastes. Colour ...? dont know EBC descriptions yet. So for a first and a first AG i'm pretty pleased and relieved as well if i'm honest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tonyj

More
9 years 9 months ago #1419 by Tonyj
Replied by Tonyj on topic Brew cherry popped
Fantastic that everything turned out so well. And I have to agree with you and Gash that you should always do the recommended protocols several times at least before you try to do any experimenting, if at all. Because the cost of ingredients means you could well be throwing money down the drain.

BTW, Gash, I can only access Cellar Dweller from my phone since I'm out of state, but many many thanks for making a site that is so friendly with mobile devices. Just amazing and really well done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: xenon

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top