You are not logged in.

The RIPA - Rye IPA

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #1658 by Erik_l
The RIPA - Rye IPA was created by Erik_l
How is my recipe? I am considering taking out the wheat malt and increasing carafoam/pills, however I don't think my lhbs does not have roasted barely, but they have carafa 1 so I could probably substute the two.

If I cannot get 2-row, I could maybe substitute with Maris Otter? I used that malt as the base of my IPA that's dry hopping atm. What do you guys think? if I substitue 2-row (US) for maris otter, I can get 100g less grain for the same SG, and with a 1lt starter at 1.030SG I can pump my water add up to 2.5lts to hit 1.056 which will give me 20lts at 5.6% assuming full attenuation.

I will also probably tweek the dry hop additions, but I can do that later.

I have also been reading up on water chemistry, and the pH level of my water is 8.0, so I want to bring the pH down to 5.4 for mash and 6 for sparge so I am going to pick up some gypsum from bunnings when I get my grains.

I also have a Black Rye IPA version of this as well. Thinking of doing a 5lt batch of it in a week or two. My last IPA will be crashing for 2 days in my fridge, also bought some gelatin to fine it but probably won't add it in as the cold crashing would do a decent job of sedimenting (that isn't a word) all the shit out of the beer anyway before priming. If I brew the following beer on Friday, I'll need to buy another case of beer and drink it before this beer is finished and ready to be bottled... Oh, challenge accepted!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: The RIPA
Brewer: Dave
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
Boil Size: 18.89 l
Post Boil Volume: 16.85 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 15.00 l
Bottling Volume: 13.49 l
Estimated OG: 1.066 SG
Estimated Color: 25.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 75.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 77.8 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.20 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 44.9 %
1.50 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 2 30.6 %
0.80 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 3 16.3 %
0.20 kg Carafoam (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 4.1 %
0.10 kg Roasted Barley (591.0 EBC) Grain 5 2.0 %
0.10 kg Wheat Malt, Dark (17.7 EBC) Grain 6 2.0 %
30.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 7 58.2 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 9.6 IBUs
10.00 g Centennial [8.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 4.5 IBUs
15.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 10 3.2 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 0.0 m Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
10.00 g Centennial [10.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 13 -
15.00 g Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Day Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 4.90 kg
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 12.78 l of water at 73.1 C 66.7 C 60 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 11.02 l water at 75.6 C
Notes:

Created with BeerSmith 2 - www.beersmith.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago - 9 years 2 months ago #1659 by Gash
Replied by Gash on topic The RIPA - Rye IPA
The Dark Wheat would be mostly for colour, if you can get carafa special I , I reckon that would be better, but carafa I will do if thats all they have.

Maris can be substituted for 2-row, any pale malt really, so Joe White Ale Malt would be fine too as well as cheaper and is probably closer to US 2-row. Although Maris will be fine.
Last edit: 9 years 2 months ago by Gash.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1660 by Gash
I put your recipe in my water calculator but its set for my water (Melbourne West)
prntscr.com/5xm0gt
So then I'd have to adjust something like this
prntscr.com/5xm0z4
Of course your water will probably be different.
Mine would be 2g calcium sulfate, 4g calcium chloride, 3g epsom salts and also 65g of acidulated malt to get the pH and water salt levels all ok.

The calculator I use is ezwater calculator, www.ezwatercalculator.com/ but of course you need a local water report, most can be found online.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1661 by Gash
*those salts are added to the initial mash water.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1662 by Gash
There probably is no need to go to that sort of effort, unless you enjoy that sort of thing, but if you are worried about your pH maybe grab a some 5.2 pH stabiliser or get a water report and start tinkering!.

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #1663 by Erik_l
Replied by Erik_l on topic The RIPA - Rye IPA
I grabbed my water report the other day for bru'n'water, but the table you supplied is significantly better.

Updated my grainbill, The wheat was primarily for head retention, but I get that from the carapills anyway (carafoam in this bill)

Ingredients:
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.10 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 42.9 %
1.50 kg Rye Malt (9.3 EBC) Grain 2 30.6 %
0.80 kg Vienna Malt (6.9 EBC) Grain 3 16.3 %
0.40 kg Carafoam (3.9 EBC) Grain 4 8.2 %
0.10 kg Carafa I (663.9 EBC) Grain 5 2.0 %

Bunnings stocks both gypsum and epsom salts but not sure where to get calcium chloride...

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1664 by Gash
CC can be got at bunnings too in various forms, thinks like Damp Rid are usually Calcium Chloride and also its used in Pools to increase water hardness. I usually get mine at the brew shop, and then I also know its 100% even though they probably get it at bunnings any way ... Epsom salts I got at the supermarket.

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 2 months ago #1665 by Erik_l
Beer is brewed and fermenting nicely. I had less beer than I expected, and didn't hit my post-boil gravity, so I added less water and have 15lt fermenting, which I am happy with still as I can xfer to my secondary 15lt carboy to sit in my fridge for cold crashing (I had planned on warm-gelatin fining if I had more which would push time to 3 weeks in primary).

My LHBS had all the water chemicals I needed, but I fucked it up and put 3-4 grams of Calcium Chloride in instead of 2, but that's ok that puts me in the green still with everything I need, to compensate, however, I only added some salt to the sparge water which brings my total ppm down to a good green level.

I hit target mash temp this time on the dot which I was happy with, and only lost 4C over the hour.

This time, I didn't buy ice, and cooling took well over an hour, my sole regret, chill haze aside I don't think it will mater that much... Will it?

Tomorrow/today (it's just past midnight, I mean Sunday) I bottle my first AG batch, it smells fucking awesome, I xfered it to a 15lt fermenter while my strike water was heating up, and threw it in my bar fridge to cold crash, I dry hopped quite a bit, with 45g of hops on day 1, 30g on day 2, 45g on day 4 and 30g on day 4, combination of citra, cascade and centennial. Transferring eliminated a majority (if not all) of the hop gunk, the cold crashing will take care of the rest.

Thanks for your video on priming Gash, I am replicating it tomorrow! Or Today!

I tasted my IPA (I dubbed it the 'I don't know what I am doing IPA", it'll be a 7% hop burst fucker of a drink, and it tastes and smells great. Cannot wait until it is carbonated.

• Gash
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
9 years 2 months ago #1668 by Gash
Cool sounds like it turned out still after the small issues, I longer cooling time will slightly change the late addition hops and might make the beer slightly more bitter. It should still be fine though! Sorry for the late reply, I've been away for a few days! Cheers mate!

• Erik_l
  • Topic Author
More
9 years 1 month ago #1688 by Erik_l
The beer is just about one week into the bottle and carbing up, gunna try it in one week.

But, the beers that inspired the brew are HopDog's Horns up RYE IPA, and Brewcults' Supafly rye IPA.

I emailed brewcult and they sent me a factsheet about the beer and I created a clone based off the info I had.

I am converting a keg into a boiler in the next few weeks, and wiring the STC up, so I am hoping to be able to make a large-scale version of the clone.

Meanwhile, my first IPA came out, and it is under-carbed ATM (3weeks in bottle) as it is 7.4% give-or-take, so I am gunna give it one more week to carb up and try it again, but it turned out pretty fucken awesome I must say. It has the aroma and flavor I was hoping for, real in-your-face with hops and body, and the head retention and lacing is just fantastic!

When I get around to it (at work atm) I will post the recipe for the supafly clone for anyone keen on producing a great rye IPA.

Also planning on buying a cheap shitty fridge and converting it into a kegerator in the next few months as well so I can avoid bottling and just have something on tap.

Drunken Ramblings

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 2 Jun - 16:22

Kit Brew Day Tomorrow, Black Rock Pale ale and number 40 larger brew enhancer by mangrove jacks. And possibly some honey. Yeast US05 ??

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Fri 22 Jul - 12:19

3 weeks into dry July and going strong, im on the homeward stretch.

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Wed 15 Jun - 13:39

If anyone has trouble logging on , clear your computer with CCleaner or similar and youll be able to log on. Cheers

Finnroo's Avatar Finnroo - Sun 29 May - 08:09

lol

SkidBaxter's Avatar SkidBaxter - Sat 28 May - 15:27

Brewing a familiar Dark Mild later today. (hint: Was the bastard tired? Or was he run over by a tire (tyre). No one really knows). One thing for sure. It will be a treat when done. Cheers!

The shoutbox is unavailable to non-members

You are not logged in.

HomeBrew Network

Advertisement

Go to top